Questions

Oliver and I were questioned together, this time. It felt like the investigation was kick starting again with the obtainment of some new information.
"So you two were here together, from what hours again?" James looked at us momentarily before looking down at her note pad.
"Um, from getting home from class which was around 5pm would you say?" I replied, looking at Oliver for approval. He nodded and uttered a 'yes'.
"Until the next day. I slept over." I nodded with an awkward smile.
"You two are still together, then?" Miller raised his eyebrows cheekily.
"Yes, sir. Two months going strong." Oliver smiled.
"Good. Good." He replied.

A few moments passed as James scanned her notes and scribbled across the paper. She finally broke the silence by tapping her pen towards one of the points on her file.
"Okay, so this is a very serious matter. Would either of you have been aware of Miles' involvement with girls?" James looked me straight in the eye. My throat became tight, remembering the night of the Halloween party.
"In what way?" Oliver took over the question, aware of my sudden panic.
"Well, two girls have come forward with accusations of sexual harassment involving Miles. If the accusations and true, Miles seems to have been a repetitive offender." Miller frowned, not making eye contact with either of us.
"So, I have to ask. Did Miles ever sexually harass you or anyone you knew?" James looked at me specifically. She never shifted her gaze.

I daren't say a word. I knew it wasn't worth mentioning, but a strong urge to spill the truth was taking over my body.
"Miles...kissed me at a party. I was drunk. I passed out before I knew anything else that happened. So I don't know if he did anything. But it's possible." I exploded, but managed to contain the toxic parts of the story.
"I see, I'm sorry that happened to you. And were you aware of this, Oliver?" Miller turned his attention to Oliver.
"Um, no. I wasn't." Oliver lied, frowning at me. He was a convincing liar, I would have given him that.
"Well, I suppose that's a conversation for the two of you. We'll leave you be for now, but we may be back in the next few days." Miller nodded. The two put out their hands for us to shake and then promptly left. I supposed they were on their way to question the neighbours.

The girl who lived in the apartment next to Oliver's had known Miles personally. Nobody had seen her for weeks once the news of his death had become common knowledge. Her friends eventually coaxed her out and according to Oliver, she looked like a homeless woman. Her hair was knotted, her clothes were stained and reeked of alcohol, and she looked as though she had not taken a shower in weeks. I could tell it had taken a toll on Oliver, after all he had killed the boy which started her madness and loss of control.

Once the two detectives had driven away from the apartment complex, Oliver and I finally felt safe talking again.
"They didn't seem as interested this time, don't you think?" Oliver nodded to himself, taking a seat on his bed. I walked over and he pulled me onto his knee.
"I guess not. I think we should be safe." I smiled and wrapped my arms around the back of his neck again.
"Do you think we can ever forget?" He sighed.
"No, but I still think we can have a life. This doesn't define us." I stroked the hair out of his eyes and placed my cold hand against his cheek.
"I want to believe you." Oliver said, and pulled me back into the bed with him.

We laid there for a while, talking about future plans. I knew we would stay together after college. We were both on a three year course, around half way through our first year. There was a lot of stress to come, but nothing that we couldn't handle. We shared many hopes for the future, and in both of our minds, we were always together.