Chapter Ten:

Jake's POV:

So many times since I left home, my dad, the abuse, and Estelle, did I dream of going back just for her. I wanted tremendously to see her, hold her in my arms and never let he free from me or let her go again,  but then I met Anna.

Anna didn't deserve to be in love with me,  and I knew that, but I wanted so badly for her to be. Because I loved her.

Anna was beautiful,  even if she didn't believe it. 

"Jake... " Estelle whispered.

I looked up to meet her eyes, they were welling up with tears.

"You don't love me anymore, do you?" she asked.

I nodded slightly. Because, if I didn't love Anna, I would definitely love her and only her-- but that wasn't the case.

Anna groaned slightly. I quickly moved to her side and brushed her hair out of her face.

"Estelle,  call the police. " I told her handing her my cell phone from my back pocket.

She dialed quickly, and I heard her asking for police and an ambulance. 

A gunshot sound went off and then tires squealed as they drove away. It was a warning shot from father dearest.

******** ******** ******** ******** ******** ******** ******** ********

Sydney's POV:

I heard the shots go off outside and then tires squeal. I thought it had been a nightmare; yet I looked to the window regardless.

The phone rang.

David rubbed his eyes, groggy.

I got up, tossing the covers, and answered the phone.

"Hello?"

"Sydney, don't leave the house."

"Taryn? What's going on? Where is Anna?" I kept asking questions and wishing I knew the answers already, but I never gave him a moment to reply.

"She's been shot. We've called an ambulance,  she is going to be okay. And the police. They're on their way."

"I'm on my way."

She began to argue but I already hung up.

"David." I said. He was already sitting up in bed, awaiting preferable good news.

"He's back."  Saying the simple words frightened me to the full extent.

David jumped from the bed and slipped into his pants quickly. I didnt bother with the fickleness of clothes when I knew that Anna was shot and her dad wouldn't wait for the police to leave before attempting to strike her again.

David took my hand and we ran downstairs and across the beach to the house across the way that was meant to keep Anna safe for the night.

******** ******** ******** ******** ******** ******** ******** ********

Taryn's POV:

I walked into Jake's bedroom and sat on the edge of the bed, taking Anna's hand in mine.

"Who is she?"I asked Jake.

"Long story." He replied going to the other side of Anna.

The girl glared at me and left the room. I continued to glare back.

"I would say we have time, but we don't. So make the long story short, Jake." I told him looking across to him. He just stared down at Anna.

"The guy helping her dad is mine. I ran away years ago to get away from him after he killed my sister. I met Dakota along the way. I also met Anna but she doesn't remember and now both fathers are trying to kill us."

"How did you meet Dakota?" My eyes watered. It was like I was talking to Dakota. The way his eyes were fixed on Anna was as delicate and caring and loving as Dakota's.

"I broke into a house, I needed money, or food, something to help me keep going for another few days. Breaking and entering was a switch considering I had done it so many times. I got in through the basement and I saw her body stop struggling against the rope tied around her neck. I snapped it quickly and soon Dakota discovered us, and sent me on my way with food."

"Dakota never said anything about that..."

"I figured. But it doesn't matter. " he replied, focused.

"Do you love Anna?"

He was quiet.

"Jake."

"Yes,"

"Then you need to leave."

He finally looked at me.

Sydney came bursting through the door, and began to ask what happened.

"Your father is helping hers. He probably wants you just as much as her father wants her. Thats why he brought her with them. " I had a point. He didn't explain how he knew her, but it was obvious by the tint of blood on his uncut lips was from hers, and that she meant something to him, and he meant something to her; regardless as to whether or not they admitted it, it was true.

"Leave, Jake."

"What? Taryn, what has gotten into you?"

"His father is helping Anna's!" I shouted.

"What..?" Sydney was confused, that was obvious.

"Leave now or you will only end up hurting her more, Jake."

He stood up, I could tell he saw my reasoning.

The ambulance sirens were growing near and fast.

"Goodbye, Jake."

Sydney was quiet.

He left.

******** ******** ******** ******** ******** ******** ******** ********

Anna's POV:

"Anna, come here baby."

"Mom." I whispered. I tried to get up, but I felt as though I was being held down. Hands were all around me pulling my deeper into Jake's bed and I couldn't get up to find my mother.

The room was black and I couldn't see anything but myself and the bed as clear as day.

"Anna, hurry!" My mother shreaked.

I thrashed against the grips even harder and began screaming for help, my father was going to kill her again if I couldn't break free.

"Mom! Jake!" I desperately tried to get free and save my mother.

"Anna," her voice was an eerie whisper...

Then, her face was less than and inch from mine. Her rotted corpse face had flesh melting off her bones and her hair was covered in dirt. A skeleton of a fish knotted in her hair as it was tangled around the frame of her face.

"Run!"

In horror, I screamed.