We've Been Sitting Here For Hours

"So how are you doing?" Dick asked as he settled onto the couch. He had come over to eat pizza and watch a couple movies. It was a tradition that Jason had started, at least once every two weeks the three of them would get together and just hang out for a while.

Even now, without Jason, the two of them couldn't kick the habit so they continued to meet.

"Oh, I'm fine." Y/N said quickly. "School is a bit rough right now, but-"

"No, how are you really doing? No, sugarcoating it. I am your best friend and you can tell me what you are going through." Dick said encouragingly.

Y/N sighed and set her plate down on the coffee table. "I miss him like hell. I think about him all of the time and I see him everywhere." She said quietly. She paused before continuing.

"You know... Sometimes when I get a message, I think for a minute it is him? I mean I know he is dead and gone, but for a moment I just- I hope that somehow he isn't and that I can talk to him like we used to." She let out a soft laugh. "How pathetic is that? I get a notification and hope that somehow my dead boyfriend is messaging me?"

Silence reigned for several seconds before Y/N started speaking again.

"Sometimes, I write messages to him. Telling him about my day and what has happened since he...... It is mostly just me telling him that I miss him. I don't ever send them because it isn't like anyone would actually read them, but I can't stop. It is like I can't talk to anybody else and even though he is dead he is still the only one I want to share everything with. I don't even know why I am telling you all of this, to be honest. It is just like I cannot take anymore of this pain." Y/N flinched when she felt Dick's hand on her face, wiping away her tears.

She was crying.

Again.

"You aren't pathetic, Y/N. You just miss him and you are trying to deal with that. I wish you would let me in and let me help you. I didn't love him like you do, but he was my brother. I miss him, too." Dick paused for a moment. "You can send me those messages if you want. The ones about your day and how you are feeling. I'm not Jay and I won't pretend to be, but I am your friend and I don't want you to be alone."

Y/N nodded and scooted close to him. He wrapped his arms around her and let her cry. They sat there like that until her tears subsided and her breathing even out.

"Thank you. I didn't realize how much I needed to let all that out until now." Y/N whispered, her head still on Dick's chest.

"Anytime." He answered, gently playing with her hair.

They sat there the rest of the night, talking about memories of Jason and how it felt to be able to share them again. Neither of them was okay, but together they were healing.