Epilogue Part Two

Be ready at seven. I know you hate shopping, so I already got your outfit covered. - Trey

As soon as she entered her apartment building after a long day of classes and work, the receptionist handed her the white Chanel box. When she made it back upstairs and opened it, she saw the note from Trey along with a simple black dress and a pair of black red bottoms. She chuckled and put the box into her closet and decided to take a shower and start getting ready. Odell already had Kali for the weekend but they would be together tomorrow since it was Kali's birthday.

Since she was finally old enough to remember it, they were going all out with a Minnie Mouse themed party. Odell had gone crazy booking bounce houses, a teacup ride, and a pony for the party. Demi thought he was doing too much but he loved spoiling Kali and as long as he was paying for it, she was letting him have his way.

After getting out of the shower, Demi lotioned herself down with her vanilla body butter then slipped on a matching bra and panty set from Victoria's Secret that she hadn't worn in a while. Now that she was thinking about it, she couldn't remember the last time she had gotten all dolled up to go out. She was used to being in lab coats and scrubs all the time, or leggings and sweats. But she hadn't really dressed up and gone on a date since she had been with Odell, and those were bittersweet memories.

There was a knock on her door and she didn't realize that it was already seven. Straightening her hair obviously took longer than she thought it would. She pulled her dress over her head and fixed it on her body before going to open the door. She smiled when she saw Trey standing there holding a single white rose.

"Dr. Lovato," he greeted, offering the rose to her.

"Thank you. Um, I just have to put my shoes on and I'll be good to go," she said, dropping the rose in the vase on her living room table before rushing back to her room.

She sprayed her perfume, combed her fingers through her hair one last time, slipped her shoes on, then grabbed her clutch before going back out to Trey. He was looking at the pictures of her and Kali that decorated her walls.

"You look stunning, Demi. Even with your nerd glasses on," he joked, causing her face to flush red as she pushed her black square framed glasses up her nose. She was constantly running out of contacts and constantly forgetting to order new ones so she had gotten used to getting stuck with wearing her glasses everywhere.

"My insurance doesn't cover laser eye surgery, Tremaine. Where are you taking me?" She asked after locking up. She checked her phone as they descended in the elevator to see if Odell texted her about Kali or something, but he didn't so she slipped the phone back into her clutch.

"It's a surprise. Come on." He took her hand and led her out to the parking garage where his black Range Rover was parked. He helped her inside then got into the drivers side and they pulled out of the garage and began to make their way through the streets of New York. 

"So now that you got this grant, what's next?"

"Well, we have to do tons of paperwork and stuff like that. Then my professor and I will start assemblying our team. After that, we can begin the study. I mean, it's a lot more complicated than I'm making it sound but the grant was my biggest obstacle. Research is really expensive," she explained as Trey nodded in understanding.

"What about you? What have you been up to besides walking your dog and tweeting about the injustices of our world?" Demi questioned with a chuckle.

"I've been in the studio. The Grammys are coming up so I might go. There's an even greater chance of me going if I can convince you to be my date," Trey said as he looked over at her, but Demi quickly shook her head.