Editing Room

I wake up with my hands and eyes in pain from drawing all night. I take a fresh look at my drawing and smile. Everything is in proportion and it looks really good in my opinion. My body shakes under the weight of me trying to sit up. I check my phone, the clock reading 9:28, to see Mark texted me good morning. I smile and text him back. 'Did you want to get coffee?' He asks me. My smile turns into a grin as I text back, 'Of course! Can you pick me up now?' I ask, getting out of bed and putting my hair into a pony tail.

I get into Mark's car, admiring his partly messy hair and sleepy smile. He drives a bit over the speed limit but I ignore it. We pull into a quaint little coffee shop and we both get out, Mark hurrying inside. He holds open the door for me and apologizes for rushing. "I just had a little free time this morning so I thought I would spend it with you." He says and wraps his arm around me as we wait in line. I blush and rest my head on his shoulder, looking at the rustic menu board they have hanging to the ceiling.

The place seems very busy. I wonder how much money the people who work here make. Mark gets a hot chocolate and I get a cinnamon vanilla coffee. We both sit down at a small table and talk for a bit. Mark keeps checking his phone for, I'm guessing, the time and looking around. "You okay?" I ask him as I wrap my hands around the warm mug and pull it close to my body. "Yeah, I just kind of wanted to go back to help Ethan and Tyler edit." I just smile. "We can go back to your place. I don't mind." I say. Mark smiles back and we exit the coffee shop, putting three dollars in the tip jar.

Mark pulls into his driveway, getting out and leading me through the house. He leads me to his office, where Tyler and a guy with blue hair are sitting in chairs on a computer. The man with blue hair glances up at me, but instantly avoids any eye contact. I shrug it off and say hi to Tyler. "How have you been?" He asks. "You know, the usual." I reply. He nods and smiles. Mark walks me over to the blue-haired man's desk. He glances up at me awkwardly as Mark introduces me. "You two get along, I have to do something." Mark says and walks away, leaving the room.

Ethan pulls up a chair for me to sit in next to his desk. I sit down and look at his computer screen. We both sit facing each other, glancing around, the silence submerging us in awkwardness. I look at his screen, a picture of Mark covered in blood and in a dress is on the computer. Ethan looks at it too and laughs. "Want to see the see the makings of a video?" He asks. I nod and move the chair closer to the desk, Ethan flipping the screen to a video and presses play.

We both laugh the whole time the video is playing. Different clips of Mark, Tyler, and Ethan in matching dresses pops up on screen. "Is that you? You're beautiful!" I say as a clip of Ethan holding up peace signs flashes on the computer for a second. The video ends and I am stuck laughing as the images go through my mind again. Ethan looks at me with a smile for a couple seconds, as if he is admiring me. After a few seconds, he looks back at the computer and works on the same video, me watching as the mouse goes flying around the screen.

Ethan and I talk and make jokes as he edits until Mark comes back. I stand up and wrap my arms around him. My eyes pass over Ethan and he looks hurt. Once we make eye contact, he looks away. "Is there anything I can do to help?" I ask Mark, looking up at him. He looks down at me and says, "You're good. If you want, I can drive you home." Mark smiles. I shake my head and hug him tighter. "No, I want to stay here." Mark kisses the top of my head. "Okay. But if you feel bored, just tell me." I nod and let go of him, walking back over to Ethan's desk and sitting down.

Ethan just focuses on putting a dark filter on a clip of Mark posing with a katana with Tyler and Ethan laying around a puddle of fake blood. I try to make conversation with him, but he ignores me. I become agitated and snap at him. "What did I do?" I ask him, trying to keep my voice down so Mark doesn't hear with his headphones on. "Nothing. I'm fine." He says and glances at me. "You're mad at me. Tell me what I did so I don't do it again." I say, trying to be nicer. "No, really, you're fine. I'm not mad at you." He says and smiles cutely, poking his dimple to make himself look cuter. "There you go! That's better!" I say, teasing him. He does a real smile and apologizes for "being a bitch." I tell him it's okay and look back at the screen.