1: Job Time

Nagisa's PoV

Nagisa was wearing a suit for the first time in a long while.

He never liked to wear one because it looked ridiculous, like a little kid going through his dad's things.

Yet there he was, sitting in one of the offices of Japan's Ministry of Defense, trying to make the many times rolled up sleeves of the suit not too obvious, as well as how loose the fancy black cloth was on his small, skinny frame.

Apparently his attempt at subtlety wasn't working, because the tall man sitting opposite of him didn't look too encouraged.

The man was Karasuma, one of the government workers in that department. He had a very strict face and hair both spiky and neat at the same time.

He looked way more official in his black suit than Nagisa did, though Nagisa guessed his was worth many times more than Karasuma's. Not that the price matters if you can't pull it off.

"So," Karasuma began, looking down on Nagisa. Literally; the height difference was alarming. "Nagisa Shiota, was it?"

"Yes," Nagisa replied, "from Lovro Brofski.

Lovro was one of the only people Nagisa knew personally. He was a Hitman Dealer, the one who got Nagisa all of his clients. Normally, there would be heavy doubt if a regular person tried to sign Nagisa up for assassinations, but Lovro was a pretty influential guy. People trusted him, and by extension put their faith in Nagisa.

And Nagisa never disappointed. There hasn't been a single job not done smoothly since five years ago, when he had his first ever kill.

But despite Nagisa's accomplishments, people still were hesitant. Look at him, they probably say. A tiny boy with too-long blue hair and a fragile-looking body. What can he do?

In fact, Nagisa thought, looking at Karasuma's furrowed brow, that's exactly what he's thinking, isn't it?

🐙🐙🐙

Karasuma's PoV

This boy looks like a girl, Karasuma thought to himself in confusion. Perhaps Lovro was telling me about a different person?

"Mr. Shiota," he said, leaning his elbows against the smooth table surface. "Lovro tells me that you are a well-accomplished assassin that's been under him for five years and never failed once. Is that correct?"

The boy-girl nodded, looking as emotionless as a doll. "That's right."

"How old are you?"

The kid raised an eyebrow. "That isn't something you casually ask someone in my career path. But I'm 15."

"Young, for 'someone on your career path'," Karasuma commented. "But that age is perfect for this job."

He looked down at the files on front of him. Those files contained a summary of all activities related to the yellow octopus teacher that had appeared a while ago after blowing up a significant portion of the moon. Since then, Karasuma had set up tons of assassins, hitmen, and even military people to go after that octopus, now referred to mostly as Koro-sensei. But no one had succeeded thus far at killing Koro-sensei, which had to be done before next March.

The job Nagisa was there for was one Karasuma had sent out a while ago: a job where an assassin goes undercover as a student of the class Koro-sensei insisted on teaching. There have been a couple sent to that class, class 3-E of Kunugigaoka Junior High School, but they had always been obvious assassins from the start that immediately started their attack.

But as that wasn't working out so well, Karasuma wanted to see how it would work out if that assassin wasn't found out, if they had a bigger element of surprise.

Looking at Nagisa Shiota, he'd definitely have the element of surprise, though what Karasuma was concerned about was if Nagisa would be able to do anything with that surprise.

From what Lovro said, that boy was capable. If what he said was true, he had his first kill when he was barely 10. That would have to be one messed-up childhood.

Messed-up, and from the looks of Nagisa, weak.

Lovro was mistaken. A boy like Nagisa couldn't possibly be trusted with the task of infiltrating class 3-E and pulling off the assassination. Karasuma only has one shot at this plan, because after that the element of surprise would be gone.

One chance, and he's not going to waste it on Nagisa Shiota.

"Interesting," says the Nagisa Shiota in question. He was holding something in his hands. "The progress is worse than I heard."

Karasuma realized what he was holding were the files on Koro-sensei. Somehow he had gotten them from in front of Karasuma and read a considerable portion, and Karasuma had never seen Nagisa move an inch.

🐙🐙🐙

Nagisa's PoV

Karasuma had seemed more interested in the files in front of him than Nagisa, so of course Nagisa's curiosity had spiked.

It was child's play to slide those files across the table when he saw Karasuma's eyes become unfocused, not really looking at the files but instead thinking.

Inside were all documents and documents on the yellow alien octopus thing, dubbed "Koro-sensei" in those files.

Nagisa didn't particularly care about all of the weapons that were tested to see if they caused damage to Koro-sensei, or about the speculations on how 'his' body worked.

But what caught his interest were the pages on the class taught by Koro-sensei. Apparently barely anyone had managed to even touch him, but there were some special ones. The first one to damage Koro-sensei was a student named Karma Akabane, who had just got there and immediately cut off one of Koro-sensei's arm-tentacles-whatever.

Next was an AI sent in by the government, which was programmed to launch consecutive attacks on the octopus until its attacks got better and better and finally proceed to eliminate Koro-sensei.

After the AI, there appeared a student that only stayed for a day, a boy named Itona thay apparently also had hidden tentacles and fought Koro-sensei, but lost.

"Interesting," Nagisa mused. "The progress is worse than I thought."

Karasuma's eyes widened slightly as he realized what the boy across from him was holding. "When did you -?"

"Mr. Karasuma," Nagisa cut him off. "Majority of the students in class 3-E seem to be incompetent."

The older man rubs his forehead. "They are children, after all."

"Not all of them are," Nagisa said. "This AI, who you seemed to have dubbed 'Ritsu'. It's a machine, specifically made for Koro-sensei's termination. Why did it fail?"

Karasuma looked uncomfortable. "Koro-sensei got to her and reprogrammed her because she was disturbing the learning of the class. Now she assists the class as a part of -"

"Pathetic," Nagisa muttered. "What about the kid with tentacles? He seems like he'd be a good match for the octopus."

"He is, like you said, a kid. And those are confidential files you're going through."

Nagisa gave a small laugh as he continued reading, ignoring Karasuma. "Funny, at the moment the most promising one is the Akabane kid, who's apparently completely human. Actually, that's not funny, that's sad."

Still, he wondered what kind of person Karma Akabane was. Of course, he couldn't be better than Nagisa.

"Sneak attacks," Karasuma was murmuring. "I can see that. Maybe the ultimate assassin. Nagisa," he was addressing Nagisa now, as if Nagisa didn't hear the beginning of his mumblings. "Do you truly believe you will be a valuable asset to Class 3-E without causing harm to the other students?"

"If I didn't believe that," Nagisa said carefully, aware that Karasuma was at the tipping point, "I wouldn't be here."

Henceforth, Nagisa was enrolled into Kunugigaoka Junior High; specifically class 3-E.