5: Weak Time

A/N: No rational thought was put into writing this because it's literally 3 A.M. right now. I don't really make good decisions.

Nagisa's PoV

Why the hell was this guy in a tree?

Nagisa was faced with a child that had smoothly slid out of the branches of a nearby tree and sauntered up to him. He had ridiculously spiky ashen hair and yellow eyes that shone through the dark, giving off a feline-like aura.

The kid was flanked by a tall guy in white robes. He was staring menacingly at Nagisa, his gaze creepier with the rest of his face hidden.

Assassins, Nagisa thought. Only reason these strange-looking people would be by this schoolhouse this late. As subtly as he could try, he reached for his back pocket. I need to be prepared.

"Nagisa Shiota," a deep voice rumbled from the cloaked guy.

The blue-haired boy blinked. Man, I was not prepared. If they knew his name, they knew who he was. There was no use pretending to be an innocent passerby.

"Who?" he offered anyway.

"We've heard of you," the man said curtly like Nagisa never spoke. He paused as if waiting for some gigantic reaction; all Nagisa had to give him was an eyebrow raise. "Do not take these words lightly. Not many people earn our attention, Mr. Shiota."

The blade Nagisa had slipped under his sleeve felt cold against his skin. "Of course," he drawled.

Adults were always so self-entitled. With their big heads they never thought to spare a glance for the people they walked over. Of course, Nagisa's whole career relied on that disgusting trait of theirs.

His thoughts were interrupted by the kid, who crossed his arms across his red muscle shirt and commanded, "Let's get straight to the point."

His tone was a balance of authoritative yet apathetic, which matched his lax facial features. It threw Nagisa off a bit, so it didn't register right away when the gray-haired boy continued, "It would be extemely beneficial to both parties if we joined forces. What do you say?"

"What?"

"I said," the boy repeated dully, "Do you want to team up wi-"

"No, no, wait. I heard you. I just didn't believe I heard it for a second."

Were these people serious? They, some nobodies, approached Nagisa, a professional from the age of 10 who's never missed his target, and ask to collaborate?

The last time he had sincerely worked together with someone was more than 5 years ago. Before his mother's death.

His pride couldn't handle that.

"If you've heard of me, you've heard of my skill," Nagisa declared coldly. "Other people, especially a short kid like you, serve only as baggage. I get the job done on my own."

"I'm taller than you," the other boy muttered.

A loud laugh sounded from beside the kid. "You jest," the cloaked man scoffed, beady black eyes boring into Nagisa's head. "You say you get the job done. But what have you done thus far besides fraternize with your fake classmates and use the monster as convenient transport?"

Nagisa gritted his teeth. There was nothing to reply, because the stranger was right. It had been long enough since he arived at this school. What had he been doing?

Talking with kids his age? Watching movies? Spending weeks trying to win the favor of some sadistic redhead?

He was supposed to be a professional.

The concealed blade clicked as he spun on his heel and started to walk towards thw path that led down the mountain. He had a feeling that if he stayed here any longer, there would be a corpse.

And killing people that wasn't your asaignment's always a pain to clean up.

"Baggage, you said," the voice called after him. "You seemed to be rather weighed down yourself."

He could only keep walking, aware that both the man and kid were watching him.

🐙🐙🐙

Karma's PoV

It was that movie. It did something to his head.

All of a sudden, Nagisa looks more human than Karma had thought of his before. He had for the past weeks been doing his best to ignore the new kid and treat him aa coldly as possible.

But could it really be that this pure, practically glowing classmate of his wasn't acting at all?

Something else, however, was different. Nagisa was quieter than usual, and his sky-blue bangs hid his eyes so Karma couldn't even try to read them. His shoulders were slack as leaned on his elbow, tapping the side of his desk absent-mindedly.

It was strange enough that he wasn't out of his seat, hounding Karma like he tended to do regularly.

Maybe that movie from last night really hypnotized the watchers to be messed up in the head.

Karma wasn't the only one who noticed. "Nagisa," Kayano called, propping herself next to his desk. "Is everything alright? You look kinda down."

Nagisa looked up and smiled brightly. The smile didn't reach his eyes. "Yeah, of course! I just didn't sleep that well. I'll be fine."

He didn't look fine. He looked like he had the life drained out of him as he chatted with Kayano. Damm that flat-chested mint-head. Why couldn't she realize that Nagisa wasn't okay?

Karma caught himself wishing that he was there instead of the girl. He knew that he at least knew when Nagisa needed to be taken care of.

In general, that probably happened a lot. Karma got this vibe from the other boy that screamed weak. He had always hated those types, the type that was fragile and naïve.

But for whatever reason, he felt like Nagisa was different. He was pure, sure. But Karma was getting used to his presence.

It wasn't an entirely bad feeling.

A/N: It's 2018. Fun. I hope you all will be happy and healthy and achieve your dreams. Thanks for reading my story so far!