Songstress of The Seas

"This isn't any light matter, you shouldn't keep it."

Three days later and Kazimir greeted Aeralie the same way he had since he'd seen that statue – she was half regretting showing him now though it was her own fault really, she knew he wouldn't like it but she'd wanted to show him.

"I can hardly move the thing," she said as she swam through the draping white seaweed that exited out of her sleeping quarters, still drawing a brush through her hair.

"You don't have to, we can hire someone. Or just ask. There are more than enough dolphins around at the moment who will help out – if you ask nicely," Kazimir said, swimming alongside her as they lifted higher so they swam closer to the ceilings of the bright glow-coral halls that illuminated the palace in white, keeping above the heads of staff below.

"It's not going to come alive and stab me, Kaz, it's a hunk of rock," Aeralie said, frowning at him and dropping her brush, leaving it for a servant to put back in her room as they swam on, the brush sinking to the floor.

"It's not the rock I worry about," Kazimir shot back; "You know that. It's that man."

"Oh he's hardly going to come looking for it."

"No but it's going to make you go looking for him."

"What makes you say that? I haven't gone looking in weeks."

"Yes, because he's been away," Kazimir said, frowning at her, "Or are we forgetting that I all but nailed you to the floor to stop you following his ship?"

"Oh no, I remember, I still have the scars."

Kazimir rolled his eyes as she flapped her fins dramatically, pointing out scars that weren't there – seeing as all he'd done was hold her by the tail as she dragged him half way across the ocean floor, now he still had the marks at the bottom of his tail from that little venture of driving his tail into the ground.

"Besides," he continued, "I know for a fact he returned last week and you snuck out of the palace to see him return home."

"Why do you always know everything?!" Aeralie snapped and Kazimir gave an infuriatingly nonchalant shrug that told her nothing.

Ahead they finally heard the sounds of the great hall and they rounded a pillar and entered the huge room.

Tidalie, Aeralie's fourth oldest sister, had recently completely the outside pavilion as a gift for her royal parents.

Made up of five tower pillars that arched at the top and connected to a ring above, the pillars were covered in brilliant flowering plants but it was completely open so wildlife would come as go as they pleased.

Since then, they'd used it every day for every meal but with storm season so close this would probably be the last breakfast they'd use it, preferring the sheltered inner halls.

The table was a huge ring, hollow in the middle for anyone to float should they need to make announcements. On the far side to the doors were the seats of The King and Queen who were deep in conversation. The three seats on either side of them were for their six daughters and all, except Aeralie, used her seat.

Aeralie however had, years ago, declared she didn't want her seat and opted for the seat on the opposite side of the table, opposite The King, next to Kazimir's set seat – thus shifting half the seating plan over.

Of course people had tried to reason with her, that her place was by her family and Kazimir wasn't the ideal person for her to sit by but she wouldn't hear of it.