A New Sense

*chapter seven*

[unedited]

-

"Wake Up! Arteeeemis! Ughhh! Get! Up! It's time to goooooo!" I voice whines, I groan in response.

"Artemis! Get up now!" A voice growls. I open my eyes and glare at Rome and Remus. I roll my eyes as I stretch and walk towards Phoebe.

"Good morning Hypnos, so glad you could join us." Rome holds back a laugh as Phoebe pokes fun at me. "Today you two will begin your Pack exploration. You are next in line for the positions of Alpha, and to be respected, you must respect all. So you will travel to a new pack for the next thirty-one days and meet all the packs, understood?" We both nod. "Alright then, you may be excused."

Rome and I leave the cave and climb down the hill in silence. Snowflakes fall to the ground, setting an eerily quiet feeling to the pack grounds. My mind wanders as we hop down the hill but Rome snaps me out of it.

"Soooo, aren't you excited?" She asks. I glance at her before taking my next step, barely avoiding the patch of ice covering the rock in a thick, transparent sheen.

"For what exactly?" I respond, slowing my pace so I can enjoy the view of the pack grounds. On most days the grounds would be busy, wolves training, hunting, playing, but today it's quiet, empty. Even the normal chatter of the birds are silent.

"I don't know, maybe the whole 'you're next in line for Alpha' thing?" Rome squeals as she jumps down, skipping a few steps. I groan and leap, landing a level below her. I was enjoying the view, and I didn't mind taking my time.

"I guess? I don't see what the big deal is. Every pack has an Alpha. It's no big deal." I shrug as I wait for Rome to catch up.

"No big deal? Hah!" She scoffs as she lands beside me.

"What?" I ask as we continue down the hill, we're about halfway to the bottom.

"Not everybody gets to be Alpha!" She replies.

"I know, but that's because not everyone is suited for Alpha. And what's the big deal with me being next in line for Alpha? You're next in line for it too!" I answer as I think about being Alpha myself. I rather stay in my pack ranking if that means Phoebe would never leave.

"Me? Alpha? I wish!" She laughs.

I glance at her as our pace picks up speed. "You're next in line too, you're going to be Alpha."

"No, my mate will be Alpha. I will be Luna." I notice how she spits out the last word, almost as if she was disgusted by it.

"Wait, what's a mate?" I ask, confused.

Rome cocks her head at me. "It's your perfect match. Every wolf has a mate, and they only get one. Your mate could be human or werewolf, boy or girl, but that doesn't matter. Your mate is picked by the Moon Goddess herself, and she makes no mistakes. Get it?" She asks. I nod and she continues.

"Romulus is Alpha, and Remus is Alpha, but they're the exceptions, whoever finds their mate first, will stay Alpha. Neither of them has found their mates yet. And when they do, only one will remain the Alpha."

"Huh, I never thought about that. But you're still in line for Alpha because you're technically their kin, right? And you'll still be Alpha until you find your mate, right? And the same goes for me! I'll be the Luna too, so what's your point?" I ask.

Rome hesitates before she answers. "You won't be Luna, ever. That's what makes Phoebe so special. That's what will make you so special. And no, I won't be Alpha. I will be awarded my place as Luna once I find my Mate. I will only become Alpha if Romulus steps down, and then Remus. But it's is very unlikely. I will stay my ranking in the Pack until I am mated." She shrugs.