Chapter 11

Valquez is moving carefully down the hallway toward Carlin's apartment door. His boots are silent against the carpeted floor, his hand resting on the handgun strapped to his chest under his jacket.

As he gets closer, Valquez hears voices inside the apartment. He slows his pace even more and places his ear against the wall. He can't make out what they're saying, but Carlin doesn't seem to be in distress. Then he hears the weight of shifting bodies, and footfalls moving toward the door.

Valquez immediately ducks back into the storage locker area, hiding in the darkness. He watches as Carlin and Hank emerge. Hank doesn't have his hoodie up anymore, so Valquez silently raises his phone and snaps a picture of his face. Hank doesn't notice. Carlin bolts the door behind her and follows Hank down the hall and up the stairs to her apartment lobby.

Valquez waits patiently until he's sure they're gone. Then he follows up the stairs, poking his head in the stairwell just as the lobby door shuts behind them. Valquez waits a heartbeat and then climbs the stairs. He pushes into the lobby just as Carlin and Hank, their backs still turned, stride out on the street.

Valquez follows the pair to the street but then he turns away, back to his unmarked car. He slips inside and peers through the windshield, listening to the electronic chirp of a vehicle being unlocked. He squints his eyes against the sun and watches as the man opens the passenger door to a BMW roadster. Carlin ducks past him into the seat. The man slams the door shut behind her, crosses the front of the BMW, and slips into the driver's seat.

Valquez lifts a police radio to his mouth. "She's leaving with a stranger."

Warabowski's voice crackles over the radio. "I'm on my way. Don't lose her."

Valquez nods to himself and tosses the radio onto the passenger seat. Then he starts his car and starts to follow the BMW.

                                                                                * * *

Despite her anxiety, Carlin can't help but cast a critical eye over Hank's swank car.

Hank notices and smiles. "What?"

"The ultimate driving machine."

Hank nods with pride. "You like it?"

"I think it's fucking ridiculous."

Hank laughs. "Fuck you this is a great car!"

"For people who like to show off."

"Maybe if you were more willing to show off you'd still be employed," Hank counters.

Carlin raises her eyebrows. "Ouch."

Hank immediately regrets his comment. "I'm sorry that wasn't fair."

"The fuck it wasn't," Carlin acknowledges. "Pull over here."

"You don't have to get out, I'm sorry."

"No, I mean we're here."

Hank pulls over confused. "I thought we were hitting a hardware store?"

"We are," Carlin admits, "but I wanna pick something up first."

Hank realizes they've reached Belmont Station. He is shocked by the crime scene. "Jesus Christ, this looks like one of your paintings."

"Yeah except it's not half-finished." Carlin hops out of the car.

Hank follows close behind.