26

The weekend came too soon. Emilee came and got me around nine in the morning, and we drove to the mall. She kept going on and on about what kind of dress she wanted while I was on my second coffee. Well, Emilee's coffee.

"I want it to reach my knees," she was saying. "And I want it to be orange."

I made a face. "Orange? Why orange?" I asked.

"Because it's the Spring Formal," she said.

I rolled my eyes and unfastened my seatbelt as Emilee pulled into a parking space. We both got out and made our way across the parking lot. "What do you want yours to look like?" she asked me as we walked in.

I shrugged. "I'll know when I see it. Probably blue, though. I look good in blue."

"That's true," Emilee agreed. "Blue is your color."

We took a right. Emilee always liked to explore the dress stores when we were at the mall. That was something we didn't have in common. We took a left when we got to the end of that line of stores, and the dress store came into view.

Princess Boutique was one of the famous prom dress stores around. It was pricey, but the dresses were beautiful. Emilee grabbed my wrist and pulled, making me run to catch up to her.

We made our way into the store, and Emilee's eyes lit up. "They're all so amazing!" she said, hurrying to one of the racks.

I sighed and followed her. She went for the orange ones first, sliding down one by one. That's when she pulled one out. It was more of a peach color that reached the knees and had a bedazzled belt.

I shook my head. Emilee rolled her eyes, but she did place it back on the rack. She went off to another rack, and I decided to look for my own dress. I bit down on my lip, sliding the hangers down.

When none of the dresses on that rack caught my eye, I moved on to the one behind me. A light blue dress poked out at the end of the rack, and I picked it up. It was two piece, and it was my size.

The top was white and sparkling purple, blue, and white. The bottom was a skirt that was a light blue. I let out a breath. It was beautiful, but I didn't know if I could pull it off.

I took to Emilee. She looked up as I approached, and her eyes went to the two piece. Her eyes got wide. "Go try it on!" she exclaimed.

I went into the dressing room and put it on. A pair of heels went under the door. "Put these on!" Emilee said.

I picked them up. They were white with a dazzled strap that went up the middle of my foot and around my ankle. They were amazing. I put them on then opened the door. Emilee gasped.

"What? Do I look okay?" I asked. "I knew I couldn't pull it off."

Emilee shook her head. "Look in the mirror."

I went over to the mirror and looked in. My jaw dropped. I looked stunning. My skin tone made the dress and heels pop, and it brought out my eyes. "Wow," I said.

"I'm buying this for you," she said.

"I have money," I said.

"I don't care. Keep your money. This is your birthday present. I'll let you pay for lunch or to get our hair done."

"Hair," I said, feeling a little guilty.

"Wow, Braelyn," a familiar voice said. I turned around, and Wren smirked. "Don't you look great."

I glared. "Am I supposed to say thanks?"

She clicked her tongue. "Don't get mouthy. I just gave you a compliment," she said.

"It's not a compliment if it comes from you," I said.

Wren smirked again. "Fair enough," she said then made her way to the other side of the store.
Emilee growled. "I hate her."

"Did you find a dress?" I asked, changing the subject.

She held it up. It was a lavender color with flowers on the top and a purple skirt. It was beautiful, and Emilee would look great in it. "Is it me?" she asked.

I nodded. "Definitely you."

"I'm not even going to try it on, and I have heels at home to go with it. Come on. Let's get out of here," Emilee said.

I went into the dressing room and changed then put the dress on the hanger. I grabbed my heels, and Emilee and I made our way to the counter, where Emilee paid for everything.

We left the mall, losing our appetite after seeing Wren. That girl ruined everything. Emilee dropped me off at my house, and I made my way upstairs. I looked at the dress and heels.

Spring Formal couldn't come soon enough.

Braelyn's dress and heels:

Emilee's dress:

Emilee's dress: