33

"I wish people would stop staring. It's been a week since Formal," I said.

Emilee shook her head. "People don't know when to let things go," she said. "Luckily, we have a week and a half until our Junior year is finally over."

I sighed, "And until my mom comes home."

"Are you throwing her a party?" Emilee asked.

I shook my head. "Mom hates parties. She just wants a bunch of junk food," I laughed.

"Sounds like your mom," Emilee laughed. We made our way to my locker, where the last person I wanted to see stood. "Is he here again?" Emilee groaned.

"Braelyn, can we talk?" Ridge asked.

I ignored him and opened my locker, blocking his face from my view. He pushed my locker door until it was flat against the other one. "Braelyn, please."

"You lost that privilege," I said without looking at him. If I looked at him, I would cry. The hurt was too much to bear as it was, and I didn't need him to make it worse.

"I know I hurt you-" he started.

"I'm a big girl, Ridge. I'm sure I will get over it," I said then slammed my locker shut. "It's not the first time someone hurt me."

And with that, I walked away. A single tear fell, and I wiped it away before Emilee saw.
××××××
Lunch went back to normal. I ate alone under the oak tree while reading. This week I was reading The Fault In Our Stars. I had been reading a lot of love stories lately.

They helped me think that there still was love. Like it wasn't just an imaginary thing. Like there was someone out there that would never hurt me. They helped not feel the hurt.

A shadow loomed over me, and I looked up. Jared motioned to the spot in front of me. "May I sit here?" he asked.

I shrugged. "If you want," I replied.

He sat down. "What are you reading?" he asked. I held up the book, causing him to smile. "I remember that you used to read that book all the time."

I put the book down, looking away. "Jared, what do you want?" I asked.

"To know how you're doing," Jared replied. "Seeing you at Formal, it hurt."

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"It brought back memories of that night. I felt guilty all over again."

I shook my head. "Don't. You weren't the one that hurt me this time, and I always get back on my feet," I said then grabbed my tray. I stood up and walked away.
××××××
I found myself up in my room later that day, watching scary movies. I tried to keep my mind off of Ridge by doing this, but he managed to fill my mind every few seconds. A knock on the door made me hit pause.

"Yeah," I said, and the door opened. I raised my eyebrows, shocked, as I saw who it was. "Xavier, hi."

He smiled. "Hey, how are you?" he asked.

I shrugged. "Dealing with it," I said. "It's not as bad the second time."

Xavier frowned, shutting the door. "I guess you heard what happened after you left."

"Yeah, and your broken wrist gave it away," I laughed, motioning to his blue cast on his right arm.

He laughed, "Yeah, I'd figured."

"You wanna sit down?" I asked, motioning to the empty space beside me.

He nodded and sat down beside me. "What are you watching?" he asked.

"A Michael Myers movie. Don't know which one, though," I said.

"You mind if I stay over and watch it with you?" he asked.

I laughed, "Do you even have to ask? You're still my friend, Xavier, and I'm sorry for everything that happened."

He hugged me. "It's fine, and I'm sorry for not being around."

"All is forgiven," I said then pulled away. I crawled to the top of my bed and laid down. Xavier kicked his shoes off then scooted up beside me. I crawled under the covers, and Xavier did the same.

Wrapping an arm around me, he said, "Not every guy you meet will hurt you, you know."

"I wish I could believe that."

"You will one day," he said, kissing the top of my head. I smiled and pushed play.