Chapter 4: The Dial

"Now I press this, turn this, and flip this..." Evan said as he pressed a button, spun a little dial, and flipped a switch, and just like that... they were off. They flew off at about 98% the speed of light, passing Jupiter in about 37 minutes, and Pluto after about 12 hours, and past the Kuiper Belt after 13.
"uggg... I'm so HUNGRY!" Exavior moaned, laying on the floor. "I haven't eaten in FOREVER!" He said rolling over and standing up and walking around
"You think you've got it bad? I have a faster metabolism!! I need more food to stabilize it! If not... My powers go haywire, nothing can control them..." Evan Yelled, Then presiding stand up and zoom around the machine. "What the... what is this?" Evan said, referring to a small dial underneath one of the control panel, it was rounded and went from white, to green, to yellow, to red, and then to Black.
"Look, this section is separated from the rest" Exavior noticed pointing at the crevasses in between the part with the dial on it. There was also a blue button that looked like it was flipping something. They pressed it and all of a sudden the entire panel was pulled into the wall, and came back out with the dial on the top. They then realized that the dial was actually surrounded by other buttons, levers and dials. It also and a few numbers that said "1/18/3017"
"Wait a second... that's todays date..." Evan said, pointing at it and hopping to the other side of the panel to change the speed. He changed it from 9.5% to 9.9%, He tried to click it to 10%, but it wouldn't let him.
"Warning!! This feature is unstable!! Press unlock and continue turning if you are sure." The intercom on the ship blared.
"Feature? How fast are we going?" Exavior said, walking over to the speedometer to see how fast they were going. I was a screen that had a glowing green "99.9999999% TSOL "TSOL? What does that me..." then it hit him "99.9999999% The Speed Of Light!!, wait a second... we're only at 9.9% right? Then that means..." Exavior said, looking at Evan with a blank expression on his face
"No... that's not... that's not possible!" Evan said suddenly standing up and starting to pace. "Computer!" Evan shouted.
"Yes Evan?" The computer responded
"What is the feature that kicks in at 10% speed?" Evan asked still pacing.
"Light Speed" The computer answered.
"But... How is that possible?! Light speed is the one of the things matter CANNOT achieve?!" Evan questioned, stopping pacing and looking up is if to speak with an angel.
"The Ship runs on a quantum generator and uses a quantum engine." The Computer answered. "Is that all Evan?" The computer asked in an annoyed tone. Evan just nodded and sat down. There was silence on the ship for about a half an hour, though it felt like years...
The Silence ended when all of a sudden Exavior stomach growled so loud that it could be heard from a light year away.
"Sorry..." Exavior said, sitting down and making himself as small as possible.
"*Gahngth*" Evan snorted, then immediately afterwards cracking up into hysteric laughter, standing up and saying through the laughter "Let's find some food shall we? I shouldn't use my powers so I'm gonna need some help finding the food...
About 5 minutes of searching later...
"This is some good food!!" Evan said, scarfing is down as fast as he could.
"Ya." Exavior responded shoving a canned peanut butter and jelly sandwich.
"So, when do you think we'll reach dark space?" Exavior asked.
"I don't know... but it's going to take at least 4 years to get to the next solar system." Evan Responded, leaning back in his chair getting ready to fall asleep.
"4 YEARS?! I CAN'T WAIT 4 YEARS!! I'm turning up the speed..." Exavior said, walking over to the control panel, and turning up the dial to a yellowish green. But unfortunately for them, as they woke up a few hours later, they were greeted with sparks and alarms. "WHAT'S HAPPENING?!!?!" Exavior screamed.
"Dude! You speed us up to 80 times the speed of light!! Do you know what that's doing to the engine?!" Evan said as he lifted the screen to see what's going on outside. "Uh oh..." Evan Said, staring at the screen with a VERY worried look on his face.
"Uh oh? WHAT'S UH OH?!" Exavior shouted as he ran to the screen to see what's going on. "Oh... That Uh oh..." Exavior said as he looked at the monitor... Which displayed a black hole.