13. The Invitation

Aquamarine, Day 2

"A swing party tomorrow night?"

"So it seems," Marco confirmed.

The two were back from a run on the jogging track. His proposal clashed so violently with the sunny routine they had just fulfilled that it took Marisa a few seconds to digest the information. Marco's pranks came to mind.

"But that's an orgy." She held onto his forearm for support to remove her sneakers and socks.

"I figured you'd like to check it out. We don't need to participate." Marco slid his hands behind her hips and drew her closer. "We can have our own private orgy. Special services included"

"Really?"

They exchanged a smile. He nodded meaningfully, she hedged that she'd think about it and steered away, opening the closet for fresh clothes. To the left Marco's pants, shorts and shirts lined up invariably in white, gray or black color. The right side displayed a chaotic palette of bright hues from her new dresses. Marisa started to select a garment, changed her mind and turned to Marco with her brows furrowed.

"It's a joke, right? The Aquamarine wouldn't allow a party like that on board.

"The ship only provides the venue. It's a private party. Eliana said the attendance is top-notch. Besides, swing parties have clear rules and everybody respects one another. No one is forced to do anything."

"You sound like you've been to a swing party."

She was disconcerted to see the confirmation in his gaze.

"Just once, soon after my divorce, in a nightclub in São Paulo. I was too wasted to remember a thing. But this party here is different. Eliana said each guest has a password."

Marisa suppressed her irritation. Eliana said this, Eliana said that. Eliana, Eliana. She was sick of that woman. Her dislike, however, dispersed momentarily while Marco's revelation sank in. He had never mentioned his group sex experience. Even though they had committed to building a transparent relationship and Marco valued honesty foremost, even though he didn't hide from her his non-traditional perspective in bed and outside it, Marisa realized there were obscure points in Marco's trajectory.

And now, of course, there was Eliana, a glaring point not devoid of an obscure side too. At the very least it was odd—quite odd actually—that she would invite Marco to an orgy after years without seeing him.

"That's what you two were discussing at the Ruby Room?" Marisa inquired. Since Marco assented, she added point-blank: "Why do you want to go to a swing party?"

A knock on the door announced the arrival of a crew member with their breakfast. They took the food tray to the balcony, but the golden beauty of the morning was lost as the conversation became tauter at each sentence. Seated beside Marco, with the barrier of a small side table between them, Marisa forced herself to smile.

"Confess, what you want is to be with other women. Or with Eliana."

"It's none of that."

Marisa's smile warped slightly. She retorted: "If it's none of that, Eliana could have consulted me too."

"She felt awkward and asked me to talk to you."

Marco helped himself with coffee while Marisa bit her croissant with more energy than required.

"It doesn't make sense, Marco. She's not embarrassed to attend an orgy but walks on eggshells when it comes to talking to me?"

"It's Eliana and Robert's first swing party. They're anxious."

"In that case, they shouldn't go."

He sighed and drank his coffee. Grimacing, he added sugar with an air of ennui.

"The two want to take a break from routine and try to salvage their marriage, Mari. A couple of friends invited Eliana and Robert to the party. They couldn't make it, though, because the woman was retained by professional obligations."

Hence there were two invitations left. The party was courtesy of a billionaire couple from Fisher Island that promoted those gatherings regularly, employing their own staff to avoid indiscretions. Singles weren't admitted, and each participant was screened in advance. For that party, the hosts had reserved one of the prime salons on the ship.

"You know things change," Marco reasoned. "Their marriage reached a breaking point. This is their last attempt to reverse the situation. I thought we could offer some moral support since their friends aren't here. But if you don't want to go, I won't pressure you."

"Would you go without me?"

"No."

Marisa took her time pondering. She knew the chronic pain of metastasis in a relationship. It permeated each fiber of the body, hindered movements and molded the posture, features, life view. The process could be so subtle it went unnoticed. But one could perceive the cancerous cells in mundane scenes, there was the apathetic couple at a restaurant table, hardly speaking, eyes glued to their smartphones. That's how it started. Next came the mutual intolerance and recrimination of small habits and idiosyncrasies initially considered endearing. And next...

"Okay."

"Is that a yes?"

Marisa nodded with a vague discomfort.

"Relax, Mari. It will be fun."

He called Eliana and Robert's cabin to confirm they accepted the invitation. The weariness Marco had manifested during the conversation evaporated. In his voice, Marisa intuited an intensity that perhaps he wasn't aware of himself.

_______________________________

Hey guys, given the almost non-existent votes for the last chapter (thank you so much for the good souls who voted, I know who you are) and the general lukewarm reception, I'm thinking of just quit writing altogether.  So enjoy it if you will, I hope you do. This story was written with much love and is my last.  xoxo