20. Truth or Dare

Aquamarine, Day 3

The line on the horizon exhibited a white sandy stripe and the fluttering of palm trees against the cloudless sky. The Aquamarine moored by a coral reef, and a boat transported the passengers to land. Swimsuits, bright shirts and summer dresses soon formed a patchwork quilt on the sand, just like the aroma of seafood, fried appetizers and piña coladas sewed a patchwork quilt in the air. The beach received the visitors with a battalion of blue chairs, a rustic restaurant, food and beverage kiosks, souvenir stores, water sports rental equipment and a stage where a technical staff worked on the preparations for the afternoon attractions.

Marisa and Marco assessed the surroundings, took photographs and devoted themselves to snorkeling. In the next half hour, they were lost to the world amid the schools of fish that came, went and swirled around like colorful kites in the wind. As they stepped out the water, they stumbled across Robert and Eliana sunbathing and joined them. Later they grabbed refreshments at the same kiosk where Jean-Philippe and Zoe were buying food. The group was complete. The six friends lolled on chaises lounges at the sound of a reggae band and, tiring from the crowd, decided to explore the island.

They advanced along the beach and after a short walk elected a desert spot for a stop. Beach bags were dropped under the trees and towels spread on the sand. To the sea they marched one by one, impelled by the coruscating heat. Forming a circle in the water, the group played a truth or dare game.

Marco asked Marisa: "Truth or dare?"

"Truth."

"What would you do if you could be a man for a day?"

"That's easy. I'd piss upright and write my name in the sand."

Marisa then inquired to Robert: "Truth or dare?"

"Truth."

"What was the strangest thing you had in your mouth?" she probed mischievously.

"Baked tarantula. A Cambodian specialty."

After the group had expressed their repugnance with appropriate grimaces, Robert turned to Jean-Philippe: "Truth or dare?"

"Dare."

"Make a verse rhyming with the name of the next person."

"Oh, you got me..." He reflected. "One day I met a certain Chloe. She was pretty but couldn't rival Zoe."

He was applauded. As the claps ceased, Jean-Philippe asked Zoe: "Truth or dare?"

"Truth."

"How was your most embarrassing first date?"

"Which one? I'm a master of disaster. Once I was in a posh restaurant and the guy told a joke right when I was drinking, I spat red wine all over his white shirt."

More applause. Zoe moved on to Eliana.

"Truth or dare?"

"Dare."

"Make the next player smile."

Eliana thought for a moment and addressed Marco.

"You know that time in San Francisco when you had the flu and I made you eat a homemade concoction? It was Campbell's soup."

When he smiled, Eliana reciprocated the smile and continued the game asking Marco: "Truth or dare?"

"Truth."

"What was the biggest lie you've ever told?"

He hesitated.

"It wasn't me who broke the urn with the ashes of my aunt's cat," Marco answered at last, making the others laugh.