19. Betrayal

"Take a seat," Eliana invited. "Robert and I have something to tell you guys."

She guided Marisa to the sofa, installing herself next to her while Marco occupied the armchair and Robert remained standing. Marisa trained another glance at the bed where an elephant towel sculpture—an onboard service courtesy—observed them with its indifferent orbs made of bonbons wrapped in green foil.

"It's been a joy to get back in touch with Marco and a pleasure to meet you, Marisa," Eliana continued, and Robert nodded. "We value your friendship. It's really good being here with you guys."

Eliana's rhetoric only served to feed Marisa's suspicion. She questioned if the couple swap would involve female intimacy. Sitting there between Eliana and Marco, it occurred to Marisa they might have already discussed the matter without her knowledge as they did in regard to the orgy. Her indecision gave room to exasperation.

In that interval, Robert opened the closet and produced two packages, handing one to Marco and the other to her.

"What's this?" Marco inquired while Marisa thought of all sorts of erotic toys.

"It's our thank you for your support. You know... the party," Eliana clarified. "I'm sorry we canceled it. We should have left the invitations with you."

"We only meant to keep you company. After all, that's what friends are for. You didn't have to buy us anything. Next time, drinks are on us," said Marco, indicating his onboard card.

His package, long and narrow with a golden label, contained a tasteful blue silk tie. Marisa insisted he tried it on and removed the ribbon with the onboard card that he carried around his neck. She put the tie on him clumsily, taking her time to adjust the knot. When she could no longer delay it, Marisa undid the red bow of her pink gift box. She already knew what she would find inside it. Nevertheless, it surprised her. She thanked them and kept quiet ruminating, whereas Marco chatted carelessly with the couple.

Upon returning to their cabin, Marco realized he was missing his onboard card and went back to retrieve it. Marisa reopened her box, studying the pair of sandals. It was nearly identical to the one she had discarded after falling in the pool. She sat on the bed, stroked the quality black leather and tried them—they fit perfectly. As she buckled the straps, Marisa felt Robert's hands around her ankles. She rose and took a step back to look at herself in the mirror above the bed, the high heel scratching the carpet the same way it had scratched his thigh in the dream. I want you to touch yourself. Marisa closed her eyes and slipped one hand between her legs. It was like walking on needles. The needle pricks traveled up to her sex and stirred in her an unexplainable pleasure. It frightened her, and she removed the sandals meaning to tuck them back in the box.

That was when she noticed it.

On the bottom of the box, under the white tissue paper, Marisa discerned the corner of an envelope. She opened it.

I hope you like this pair.

So to be your dance partner.

To adorn your footsteps.

To take you to your desire.

R.

Flustered, Marisa dropped the card on the floor. She retrieved it with caution, staring at it for a length of time, and finally tore it. She tossed the pieces in the toilet and flushed it. Marco arrived the moment she came out the bathroom. Marisa snatched the sandals from the floor and stored them in the closet.

"You didn't like your gift, Mari?"

She turned to Marco and her pulse quickened: he was taking off his jacket and throwing it on the bed. Then Marco saw the envelope on the spread. He examined it.