Chapter One

Smoke burning my lungs is the first thing I feel when I regain consciousness. Then, the agonizing sensation of my skin being scorched. My vision is blurred and the only thing I can focus on is the crimson flames licking at my flesh before I pass out from the shock.

    My consciousness goes in and out, random flashes of an ambulance, doctors and nurses, bright lights, and white tiles rushing past my eyes is all I see in those brief moments.

    When I finally wake up fully, I have to squint against the harsh light shining in my eyes. Once I get adjusted to the light, I look around at my surroundings, my head heavy and my body sore. I notice that I'm in a hospital room. I hear my heart monitor, the steady beeping becoming fast and erratic as I start to panic. Against my better judgment, I rip the IV in my arm out, tear off various other cords and objects attached to my body, and jump out of the bed, immediately falling to the ground. Using whatever strength I have in my body and the fuel of adrenaline pumping through my veins, I drag my body across the cold floors, my legs feeling heavy, like lead, from lack of use.

    Before I can make it to the door, a nurse and police officer burst in and immediately work on taking me back to my bed, the strangled sounds of my screaming tearing through the air. Everywhere they touch me sends white hot flashes of agony through my body.

    I thrash around in their grasps, desperately trying to relieve my skin from the pain. I know I'm crying; I can feel the tears sliding down my cheeks. They finally get me back in my bed and take their hands off of my damaged form. I shakily gulp air into my lungs and begin to calm myself down. When I feel like I have my breathing under control, I look at the nurse and officer with an expression I can only imagine as a wild animals' on my face.

    "Miss Ash..." the officer slowly begins. "I'm officer Williams. I'm here to ask you some questions if you are up to talking. Would you be willing to talk to me?" he asks in a soothing bass voice.

    I nod my head and cough. "W-water..." I lowly say, my voice foreign to my ears with how raspy and scratched it sounds.

    The nurse quickly gets me a glass and holds it in front of my mouth to drink. I gladly start gulping the water down greedily, the glass empty within a few seconds.

    I motion for officer Williams to continue talking. He clears his throat and takes out a small notepad and pen. "Alright, Miss Ash-"

    "Scarlet. Please, call me Scarlet." I interrupt him.

    With a tight smile, he nods his head. "Scarlet. I feel the first thing I should ask is if you remember what happened."

    "There... was a fire. At my friend, Amelia's house."

    "Yes. You were very fortunate; a firefighter came into the burning building and got you out of there. Though, you did suffer from second and third degree burns to your back, left arm and leg, and a small portion of your abdomen."

    Isn't that something my doctor should be telling me? I think to myself.

    "Well, that explains the pain I feel." I joke and lightly laugh before it fades into a small coughing fit. The nurse gets me more water and then leaves the room at officer Williams' request.

    "Do you know what started the fire?"

    I weakly shake my head no.

    "Well, and I hate to say this, but the fire wasn't an accident. There's evidence that the fire was started on purpose, with the intent to cause damage and harm." He watches my face to gauge my reaction before continuing. "Now, I'm not accusing you of starting the fire, but we do know it was started in the house and we know that you and Amelia were the only two people in the house. So, you say you don't know how it was started, yes?"

    "That's correct."

    "Do you smoke? Maybe, you were smoking and carelessly tossed the still lit cigarette aside, leaving it to burn?"

    "No, I'm not a smoker. I have asthma." I respond before taking a sip of water.

    "Alright. Were there any candles lit around the house? Any open flames that could have been knocked over?"

    "No, there were no candles. I can't remember if there were any open flames."

    His brows furrow and he goes over the notes he's been taking, his lips just a thin line across his face. He exhales through his nose heavily and closes the notepad swiftly. "Well, thank you for your time and cooperation. Here's a card with a number you can call me at if you think of anything else you could tell me to help with the case."

    He holds out a crisp, white card and tips his cap to me before walking out of the room and closing the door after I gingerly take the card out of his grasp.

    Looking at the card, I read his name, personal cell phone number, work phone number, and home address.

    "Benjamin Williams at 4229 Brooksberg Avenue, apartment 12C..." I read aloud while fiddling with the corner of the card absently. "Hmm. Don't worry, Mr. Williams, I'll be sure to keep you informed." I mumble to myself with a small smile on my face, flicking the card onto the table next to my hospital bed.