Chapter Eight

Being with Ben was interesting. But also annoying. Interesting because I got to experience what dating someone is like, you know, because Amelia refused to let anyone get close enough to ask me out. Annoying because he's always around, wanting to take me places and do stuff with me constantly, which interferes with me getting rid of the last of the evidence against me.

    Of course, Ben doesn't suspect a thing. He's head over heels for his... As he calls me; Cupcake. You see, there's just no way that his Cupcake could possibly be guilty of Amelia's murder; she's her best friend, she's a victim too, she cries at the thought that someone could be so awful as to kill her best friend, she's too loving and sensitive.

    Ha! As if.

    The one thing that really annoys me though, is the fact that even though it's been three months, without any change, I might add, they haven't closed the fucking case! How much more time do these people possibly need to come to the conclusion that it's a lost cause? There's nothing left to investigate, nothing else to find. The only shred of solid evidence left is locked away securely in a safe that's been hidden beneath my floorboards. And I wish the best of luck to the idiot who tries to find it.

    Right now, I'm getting ready to be picked up by Ben so we can have a night of drinking at a nightclub that his friend runs. I slip on a tight black skirt that stops right about mid thigh, a fitted silver top that accents the curves I usually try to hide, some loose silver bracelets, and a pair of black two inch wedges.

    I'm going dancing and am probably going to get drunk. My shoes are going to be comfortable, not life threatening.

    For my makeup, I do a simple smokey eye with a light amount of eyeliner and one coat of mascara. My lips, I go with a clear lip gloss. I tie my hair up in a high ponytail with a few strands left down to loosely frame my face. I look at myself in my floor length mirror and smile to myself. I feel and look hot.

    I wait for Ben to come because I got ready way quicker than expected. When I hear the crunch of tires on my gravel driveway, I walk out, not waiting for him to come to the door. When I get into the car, I smirk at the look on his face.

    "I know you've only ever seen me in hospital clothes, pajamas, and casual wear, but that's no excuse for the cartoon expression. I swear, I can see your heart thumping out of your chest." I laugh, putting my seatbelt on.

    "Sorry, it's just. You look amazing." Ben says softly, holding my hand and giving it a gentle squeeze.

    "Well, thanks. You look good too."

    After that, we start heading to the club, listening to the radio on the way. Once we pull up, my eyes scan the outside of the building. It looks pretty clean, no trash or litter. Colorful lights dimly flash through the tinted windows and I can faintly hear the music from where I'm standing on the curb. Ben walks up confidently to the building and just gives a curt nod to the bouncer and the dude opens the door for us with a faint smile at the corners of his mouth. As soon as I enter the building, the music hits me and I can feel the thumping beat in my chest, reverberating down through my body to the floor and back up with the bass.

    It takes me a few minutes to adjust to the feeling and over the music, I shout to Ben that I'm going to the bar. He shouts back that I get unlimited free drinks, I just have to tell the bartender that I'm here with Williams. I do as he says and the girl behind the bar nods, placing a tray with five different shots on it in front of me. Looking her straight in the eye, I toss them all back, one by one. The look of surprise and appreciation on her face made me laugh and I asked for a glass of purple rain.

    I have a high alcohol tolerance because of Amelia and her parties.

    I drink it when she places it in front of me and then go find Ben on the dance floor, looping my arms around his neck and rolling my body against his in sync to the beat of the song. He keeps one hand on my waist and moves with me.

    The night goes on and Ben and I have a great time, dancing, drinking, kissing, eating. Slowly but surely, I feel my wits slip away as I continue to drink, the loose and airy feeling of being drunk settling in my body. I dance by myself in the middle of the floor, rocking my hips and waving my hands in the air, only to slowly run them down my figure. The entire time, the room moves and spins, the lights flashing and changing color, bodies around me become a blur. I feel strong arms wrap around my waist from behind and I lean against the person when I realize it's Ben. I snuggle into his warmth and sigh, feeling fuzzy. I barely feel him moving me but soon realize that we're walking and when cold air hits me, I figure out that we're outside of the club again and come to the conclusion that he's going to take me home.

    It feels like only seconds later that I'm being laid down on my bed.

    You know the phrase 'loose lips sink ships'? Well, this ship didn't just sink, it got blown the fuck up.

    "Ben..."

    "Yes, Cupcake?"

    "I did a bad thing."

    "What's that, baby?"

    "I killed Amelia."