CHAPTER 4

Chapter 4

Paul slowly sat up from the sofa. It was already late in the afternoon.

He groaned and felt his head. Not only that he'd been feeling more miserable than he used to, he'd been sleeping way more often. Only getting out of the sofa to eat or drink or pee. Which was horrible and pathetic in a lot of ways.

He'd have to do something about his life.

When he ran away from the orphanage last week, he only thought about one thing – to know what he really is. He thought that the first thing to do if he wanted to live a life he wanted, he'd have to know who or what he really is.

The truth about himself, no matter how ugly or terrible it is.

And there was a problem with his objective, he didn't know where and how to start searching about the truth.

"Darn it.." He cursed. "Where and how do I even start?"

He felt lost. And with each passing day, he felt even more lost.

On the bright side, the day after he started staying at this place, all those broken dreams and nightmares didn't occur to him anymore.

It was weird, he didn't know if he should be thankful for it or not. But he didn't mind. Not for now.

When he was about to fetch himself a glass of water, he heard a soft knocking on the door. He stopped going toward the small kitchen and went for the door instead. He found the familiar brunet standing with suppressed emotions across his eyes.

Paul stared at him for relatively a while.

What were those emotions? Fear? Disgust? Loathing? Apathy? Paul had no idea. But such eyes were something he was already used to. Never foreign. Too familiar. Eyes that would even haunt him in his own thoughts.

Before Paul could say anything, Kenny cleared his throat.

Without even trying hard to think about it, Paul knew what he was going to talk about. Paul already knew what he was here for. The feeling of déjà vu was overwhelming.

"I need to talk to you." Kenny said.

"Save it." Paul cut him off.

...

"How are you gonna go about the assignment?" Dawn asked Zoey as they started walking along the center quadrangle of their school.

"The prophecy thingy?" Zoey asked. "I dunno, I think I'm just gonna write some random stuff. It's not like it matters."

Dawn processed a thought.

"What do you mean 'not like it matters'?" She asked her redhead bestfriend.

"You know. The assignment was just to write about our opinion on the prophecy thingy so I think it's fine to write whatever, we can't be judged." Zoey answered in a matter-of-fact tone. "It's not like it's true or not. Stupid devil prophecy."

"You are not interested about it?" Dawn asked. "I think it's kinda interesting." Dawn cupped her chin.

"Well, good for you then." Zoey stuck her tongue out. "May you enjoy answering the assignment madam."

"Oh.. Yeah." Zoey stopped chuckling. "Dawn you should just go ahead." Zoey looked troubled for a second but then regained a smile right immediately. "I forgot something I needed to do in the clubroom." She sighed. "See yah tomorrow." She turned on her heels and started walking back.