CHAPTER 17

Chapter 17

"You know what else gives you power?" Volkner asked, giving Kenny a freshly brewed cup of coffee.

"Thank you.." Kenny accepted the offer and gently blew on the cup.

"Knowledge.." Volkner sat back down on his chair and crossed his legs. "If you want to become stronger you must also know more, especially about the things you're dealing with. I mean that's no rocket science right there."

Kenny hissed when he accidentally scalded his own tongue with the coffee. "I guess you're right about that Mr. Starr." He gave his cup another gentle blow. "This coffee is good by the way."

Volkner replied with a hearty laugh. "I make the best coffee in the GAS. I think that's what promoted me to be a pillar." He jested, scratching the back of his head. "Anyway, we have four Pillars, one for each region. As for me, I'm the pillar for Sinnoh region. Then there's Giovanni Epcar for Kanto, Claire Williams for Johto and Wallace Reyes for Hoenn. You may have heard of them on TV." Kenny saw Volkner eye a picture frame on the top of his desk beside a red plastic pencil holder. "That is Claire by the way, she is my step sister. Her family adopted me half a year after I lost mine. I became a pillar after a few months she became a pillar."

"As a Pillar for eight years, I've been dealing with devils for almost ten years as a GAS personnel so I can definitely tell you some things about them. And I guess I can also tell you about what I did earlier."

Kenny nodded.

"My ability, you could say." Volkner smiled. "The one that allows me to protect this city. And Sinnoh as a region."

"Okay." Kenny clenched both of his fist on his lap. "I'm ready to become stronger." Kenny's enthusiasm was replied with Volkner's amused laughter.

"I've already told you some information the past week right?" Volkner started, cupping his chin. "Devils are capable of scourging, some choose not to but some choose to do so to control their powers." He took a sip of his coffee. "Aside from that information, there are three classes of devils that you need to know."

"And it's very important to know which one you are dealing with, it will save you a lot of troubles." Volkner laughed. "To say the least."

"Okay. But three? That ain't a lot." Kenny wiped a sweat from his forehead, the coffee heating up his temperature.

"Well, three so far." Volkner held his finger up, correcting him. "There could be more. Anyway, these devils are classified base on what they can do. Abilities and such you know. That's why you need to be very wary."

"Abilities.." Kenny echoed. With the information Volkner was about to share, maybe he could classify himself in the category and maybe even classify Paul too, if ever. Kenny gulped silently, feeling a little unease.

"First we have the Faerie devils. These devils are the weakest of the three. They don't transform nor they have outrageous strength. They still are stronger than an average human." Volkner took another sip and traced the rim of his cup with his finger. "We rarely find them here in our world."

"Our world..." Kenny too traced the rim of his cup with his fingers, the uneasiness in him ballooning.

"You could say they are like most of us. They just stay in the Netherworld, not bothering with this whole devil-human hatred cycle."

Here, take this. Use it to survive in the human world.

NOW! KENNY! RUN GODDAMIT!

The sudden memory almost jerked his body up from his seat. "Where is this Netherworld?" Kenny asked, clutching his teardrop-shaped sapphire necklace unconsciously.