CHAPTER 5

Chapter 5

"I'm home!" Dawn's voice rang in her own room. She stepped in. "Hey Paul? Did you eat the eggs I made this morning?" Dawn slowly locked the door behind her. She took off her shoes and placed them on the rack beside her door. She stole a glance at the sofa and saw his resting figure.

She smiled to herself.

She turned off the big fluorescent lights and switched on the incandescent floor lamp beside the sofa. The room soon became dimly illuminated, creating lengthy shadows of the shelves, stands, tables and other furniture. The atmosphere felt like the golden hour she had always adored.

She stretched her arm and rewarded herself a yawn.

She mentally said 'good night' to him and readied herself to bed. She noticed a peculiar scent when she was about to take a bath. She paused by the door frame of her bathroom and tried to locate where the smell came from.

She creased her nose, it wasn't strong, it was subtle but it was there, in her room.

She never smelled something like this before, she couldn't describe it exactly. One thing she was sure of was that she found it very attractive, strangely very attractive.

She paced around trying to locate the smell. And disbelief beached over her when she realized that it came from something beneath the sheets of blanket on her sofa. Well in this case, someone, beneath the sheets of blanket.

She knelt beside him and leaned in closer. She could feel his slow-paced and peaceful breathing underneath the sheets. She breathed in a deep breath. She cursed mentally. It was indeed coming from him.

She thought a lot of things.

'Did he just take a shower? What kind of smell is this? I have never smelled anything like this before.'

If it wasn't for the blanket in between them it would have been one hell of an awkward scenario. She took a sniff for the second time, inching her nose closer and closer.

'Damn he really does smell good! Seriously!'

When Paul slightly shifted movements to his sides, it caught her by surprise that she fell on her back.

She had to cover her own mouth to suppress her squeaking.

She quickly got on her feet and trudged her way towards the bathroom steaming in embarrassment of what she had done.

'I'm such a weirdo! I can't believe I just did that!'

...

Dawn stomped her feet angrily in every step. She hardly heard anything but her own thoughts. She was slightly aware of the strange looks everyone was shooting at her but she wasn't bothered by it. She cursed and cursed and cursed to her heart's content.

She just couldn't believe it.

"How could he just leave like that?!" She thought out loud, earning more unwanted eyes around her.

"And that smell! God, what is up with that?!"

She wondered since when had she started noticing how he smelled. If her memories were correct and still perfectly sane as she hoped they still were, she started to notice his strange aroma the night after their first talk about her not having to do anything for him.

"Ugh, what a jerk."

She brisk walked around the city aimlessly for what it seemed to be like an hour already. And slowly by slowly, she was finally noticing how people have gradually disappeared within the vicinity.