Yea Okay Buddy, Good Friends It Is

The first day of class went pretty well. As usual there were students she knew already would be problems, they were the ones sleeping right in front of her. She doesn’t mind because she warned them that she will not be babysitting, this is their education and they need to take it seriously in order to graduate and eventually have a career. There were some students who were completely engaged and that is always a positive.

With teaching three classes this semester she’s not going to have too much free time. Yes it is not many classes but it is a great deal of work with the essays and tests she gives. They are not easy. Plus the other time she needs to have office hours for those students who need help or clarification.

She finally walks into her condo and instantly takes off her shoes and lets down her hair. She does wear glasses but that’s only for class; it makes her look more serious and professional she thinks. It was something she started her first year of teaching because she was only twenty-five and she wanted the students to take her seriously, so it has kind of become her thing.

Walking into her bedroom she takes her suit off and changes into a pair of cotton shorts and a t-shirt. She then enters the kitchen and tries to find something good to eat. Opting for a fruit salad, she put it in a bowl and walked into the living room to sit on the big red comfortable sofa.

She spent the summer decorating her condo just how she’s always wanted her place to look. Damon was the one who made the decorating decisions in their house; mostly manly colors that she didn’t like at all. The furniture was stiff and uncomfortable and there was hardly any light. In her new place she has the freedom to do whatever she wants.

Her floors are all hard wood so she has colorful plush rugs in various places. The colors in her condo varied from reds, to yellows, to different shades of purple. The living room was red with yellow accents, her kitchen and dining area was also red, and the bedroom was a mixture of purples.

Connie had one television which was a forty inch flat screen, but she rarely ever watched it. Only when there was a movie she wanted to see playing, is when she would watch. All of her other time was spent reading and preparing for her classes.

She read almost everything she could get her hands on. Learning about different things was very important to her, well that is everything except anything dealing with math. That was always her worst subject in school and she had to work very hard for a good grade to maintain her high gpa. Her father of course was good at math and science, but she was more like her mother into English and History.

Picking up the book she was reading for the fifth time, Witness to My Life: The Letters from Jean-Paul Sartre to Simone de Beauvoir, off the coffee table she begins to read. She absolutely loves that book as well as de Beauvoir’s Letters to Sartre. It was a magnificent love story, something of legend, something she thought she was supposed to have with Damon.

As soon as she got into her book her phone began to ring. ‘Argh! Who the hell is calling me now?’ She said to herself picking her phone up off the table. Looking at it she didn’t recognize the number, but answered anyway.

            “Hello.” She tried to sound like she wasn’t annoyed by the disruption.

            “Is this Connie.” A man whose voice she didn’t recognize asked.

            “Yes. Who is this?”

            “It’s Henry Fuller. I met you at the party the other week. Your friend gave me your number. I hope you don’t mind, I really wanted to talk to you again.”

‘That bitch! I cannot believe she gave this man my number without my knowledge. She knows good and well I am not trying to date anyone right now. When I talk to her I am going to give her a piece of my mind.’

            “Hello, Connie are you there?”

            “Um, yes I’m here. No it’s fine that you have my number.” She said through gritted teeth.

            “Good I was hoping I would be able to see you again, maybe for coffee or drinks; whenever you’re free of course.”

‘Coffee or drinks. Damn, damn, damn! I am not going to be able to weasel myself out of this either I just know it. He is pretty persistent.’

            “I guess coffee would be fine.”

            “Great! I understand you are teaching now, so since my schedule is fairly open I will be on your time.”

            “That’s fine. Um, I suppose I can meet you on Thursday morning around ten. I have a free hour then.”

            “Sure. I will meet you wherever you want.”

            “Well there is this little coffee shop near the college if you don’t mind coming this way.”

            “I don’t mind. I will be there. I am really looking forward to seeing you again Connie and I’m hoping we can become good friends.”

‘Good friends?’ Yea okay buddy, good friends it is.’ She said to herself before giving him the name and address of the coffee shop. They spoke for a few minutes more and then she hung up slamming her phone onto the table.

*There is a picture of Henry to the side, handsome man, we'll see what happens. Thanks so much for reading.*