Writing Is Such Sweet Sorrow

It’s been a few weeks since the beginning of classes and Matt is preparing his first paper for Philosophy class. He thought he had a good start but now he’s just stuck with nowhere to go. The paper is about comparing Plato to Aristotle, examining their similarities and differences and how their different philosophical points of view pertain to the world today. It had to be at least five pages and he was still stuck on page one.

The game they had yesterday was pretty rough, they ended up losing by a wide margin and their coach was not happy at all. Earlier today he had to go to a team meeting and watch film of their last game to see what went wrong, which took about four hours of his time. Then Jessica was at his apartment bouncing around and making a raucous. He was just about at his boiling point when Nathan stepped in and told Jessica to leave. Nathan was a little rougher than Matt when it came to talking to people. Matt always wanted to be nice and spare people’s feelings, but Nathan didn’t care and just said what he felt.

Now it’s nine pm and he is sitting here struggling to write a coherent sentence about the topic. It just comes out as one big jumbled mess. It’s not that he doesn’t understand the subject, because he does the professor is very good at explaining, it is just that he can’t seem to put the ideas in his head down on paper. The other frustrating thing is they are having their first test on Tuesday and part of it will be answering essay questions. Another thing to have to write, it just sucks!

He gets up from the desk in his bedroom and walks into the living room. Nathan has gone to some girl’s apartment so he had the place to himself. It was quiet and he loved that. He looked out the window for a little while at the passing cars on the street, and then started pacing the floor running his hands through his hair and blowing out big breaths. Finally about an hour later he was ready to start again. If he kept on procrastinating he would never finish.

It was well after two in the morning before Matt finished his paper. Definitely not his best work, but it was something to turn in at least. He printed the paper, stapled it and put it in his folder specifically for that class. When he got up from the desk to stretch he heard the apartment door open. He knew it was Nathan so he went out to greet him, knowing he would be alone because he never ever brought girls to the apartment. It was bad enough Jessica slept over some times, but he put up with it.

            “Hey man, thought you were staying out all night.”

            “Nah, you know I have class at one so I have to get some rest.” He said taking off his jacket and throwing it on the back of the chair.

Matt was never happy when Nathan just threw his things around the apartment. He was very neat and tidy and Nathan was kind of a slob. If they hadn’t known each other as long as they have there would be no way they could live together. He just deals with it, picking up his things whenever it got to be too much.

            “Yea.”

            “So how did the writing go, did you get finished?”

            “I guess. I wrote five pages, but whether it makes any sense is another story all together.”

            “Dude you are so silly. You know you have to get through this class to graduate so you may as well make the best of it.”

            “I’m trying but you know how I am with writing, it just stresses me out. Thanks for the help with Jessica, by the way.”

            “No problem man. I could tell you were about to blow your top so I had to do something. I know you are getting tired of it, so why are you still with her?”

            “You make a good point but what the hell else am I going to do. We’ve been together a year, I can’t just dump her.”

            “Why not? She’s just a girl, and you know you don’t want to marry her so what’s the problem?”

            “I just can’t hurt somebodies feelings like that. I’ll figure it out. I’m going to bed.”

            “Alright.”

Matt walked back into his bedroom thinking about what Nathan was saying and knowing there is truth to it. His friend knows him better than anyone and he knows where his head is at. It’s just not in his nature to blatantly hurt people’s feelings. Even when he was playing around with all those other girls he was still super nice to them.

He lies down in his bed and falls asleep almost as soon as his head hits the pillow.

*I am eternally grateful that you've made it this far and hope you will continue reading because it truly gets better. I've posted a picture of Nathan. Thanks again for reading.*