Unwelcomed Memories

Connie is at the coffee shop having yet another cup of coffee with Henry. They have seen each other at least once a week, just for coffee and conversation. She can’t deny she has been having a nice time talking to him, but she just doesn’t want to open another door to a relationship and he is leaning that way. He keeps asking to take her out to dinner but she just refuses, saying she’s too busy with work.

            “So what time is your class?”

            “Nine o’clock. I’m giving an exam today and collecting essays so I will be very busy the next couple of days.”

            “I understand. I’ve been meaning to ask you, I have been invited to a special dinner and I was wondering if you would accompany me. It’s Saturday night. I promise it will not be a late night. Please just think about it.”

            “I suppose. I will let you know by Thursday.”

She was not sure what to say to him right now. Not wanting to be rude she just said the first thing that came into her mind. Henry is attractive and really nice, but she’s just not ready for it. If she goes he may think it is an opening for more dates and eventually more. He already tries to touch her but she always nips it at the bud before it goes too far. The most allowed is a hand shake, to which he always tries to hold on longer than she would like.

Being married to Damon, it has been ages since someone else has touched her. Even though their physical contact was minimal, and she was really unhappy with that, she still kept her vow to be faithful. After they got married they rarely had sex and he hardly ever showed her any affection, something she was missing dearly.

He was her first real boyfriend so she gave him everything. When they were dating he was a completely different guy, so attentive and compassionate. Although he had his many extra women he always treated Connie with respect. Once she married him that’s when everything began to change, and only got worse when his clubs started making money. He didn’t want her but he didn’t want anyone else to want her either.

She can’t believe she gave that man so many years of her life. It was him who changed her from her fun loving, carefree self, who went out with friends and had a good time. She became a recluse and only socialized when she was at work, and even that was minimal. Finally when she moved to Boston she started to come out of her shell again and it felt good.

            “Connie is everything alright?”

            “Sure, why?”

            “It’s just that you seem far away.”

            “Oh, sorry. I think I’m just mentally preparing for my class.” She lied, she was thinking about her old life, but she didn’t need him to know that.

            “Ok. It’s almost time for your class so I will walk you out if you like.”

            “Thank you.”

They left the coffee shop, shook hands and went their separate ways.

*Sorry for the short chapter, but as I said in the beginning some of them will be only a few pages because I am trying to capture each person's POV in seperate chapters. I hope that makes sense. There is a picture of Damon to the side.*