Ch. 7

(FUCK I THOUGHT I PUBLISHED THIS YESTERDAY)

Yuuri took a deep breath and exited the room, having to fight down the urge to hug himself, somehow managing to keep both of his fists clenched by his sides.

Another reason why he didn't like royal parties was because if he screwed up it left a mark on people's impression of him, and since his mother never really let him leave the castle, what people thought of him here really did count, especially if he were to be king. He didn't want them to look a him and think something like 'oh hey that's the guy who pole danced at that one party'.

...

Ok, one time, but that was in the past and thankfully it had been a small party with some of his close-ish friends. It was safe to say Yuuri no longer drank at parties after that experience though.

His eyes darted around the room nervously as he walked down the room, hoping to spot at least one familiar face.

And he did.

His face broke into a grin as he paused on the staircase to looked over to see Victor at his side "Speak of the devil and he shall appear"

The guard gave him a puzzled look and Yuuri gestured to the boy with blond and brown hair talking to some tall brunet, Chris and... well someone he'd never seen before. Victor voiced their thoughts "Who's that?"

"No clue."

Once they reached the bottom of the staircase and Yuuri's gaze flickered back over to Victor "You can go talk to them if you want, I'm just going to go find Phichit."

He looked unsure "I don't know..."

"What's the worst that could happen? We're at a royal party, everyone in this place probably has a guard or two. Plus the ones my paranoid mother put some of guards up anyways."

Yuuri gave him a teasing smile "You've only been guarding me for two weeks and you're already so in love with me you can't leave me for two seconds!"

"Not true!" He grinned crossing his arms and childishly sticking his tongue out at him, which Yuuri thought was adorable "It's my job to keep you safe and that's what I'm doing."

"Uhuh." He rolled his eyes playfully.

Victor shook his head softly in amusement "Just be safe and don't talk to anyone who looks at you funny."

"Got it, mom."

With that he was walking off, a little surprised when he found his hands swinging leisurely by his sides. A few minutes ago he felt like he was going to have a heart attack if someone even spoke to him, now he felt pretty calm and even a little happy. It was strange.

"Yuuri- I mean, prince Yuuri!"

He looked up to see Phichit smiling brightly at him.

He returned the gesture "Oh, hey."

The boy was leaning against the wall with his phone in his hand, but when did he not?

"Another boring party, huh?"

He nodded and leaned against the wall next to him, casually crossing his arms "Yeah. I don't get why she insists on throwing them all the time. It's not like she's out here being forced to socialize with everyone."

Phichit nodded "She probably just doesn't want anyone to think she's gone crazy staying in her room all the time."

Yuuri raised his eyebrows "Because that's obviously not what's going on."

His friend laughed slightly.

They spent probably half of the night just talking and laughing about random things until Phichit perked up at something that had crossed his mind.

"Hey, hasn't Victor been your guard for three weeks? That's a record lately, right?"

"Two weeks, but three weeks is the current record." His eyes were drawn over to his friend with a skeptical expression "Why?"

The boy shrugged but couldn't help but smile "I don't know. I just kinda like this guard. I mean you've gotta admit, cute young guards are better than the old ones who are pretty much fossils."

"So you're hoping he stays?"

"Well, aren't you? Unless you've started losing guards on purpose.."

Yuuri rolled his eyes at the idea "Of course not. I'm just not getting attached to any more guards is all."

"Hm." Phichit hummed, his eyes scanning over the crowd to find something- or well, someone "Well, I'll be getting my hopes up then because I think you two are a cute little duo."

"What? We're not together!" Yuuri jumped off the wall at this and waved his hands at his friend as if trying to wave the idea away.

The mischievous little devil smirked "I didn't say you were but obviously you were thinking about it."

He felt the urge to scream into his pillow but sadly it was all the way in his room, so instead he covered his bright red face with his hands "I hate you. So much."

"Love you too." He could practically hear the teasing grin as the boy spoke again "Oh would you look at that, Prince Charming is coming to save his prince. Or should I say Guard Charming?"

"You're dead to me, Phichit. I just want you to know that." He said somehow managing to pry his hands from his probably still very red face and cross his arms over his chest.

When Victor reached them he smiled and looked between them, noticing the glare Yuuri was giving his friend "I hope I'm not interrupting anything."

"Nope, nothing but me teasing Yuuri and him giving me death glares."

Yuuri rolled his eyes and before smiling over at Victor "So, how's Chris doing?"

"Pretty good. Apparently while he was at that prince reform school he actually met someone, that brunet guy."

"Chris? Settling down?" Phichit gaped, and Yuuri had to laugh "Are you going to tell me hell announced a snow day next?"

"I'm happy for him. He deserves to have someone." Yuuri smiled, obviously taking the news a lot better than Phichit was, who was still staring in disbelief.

"Yeah. He's pretty happy too."

They watched each other happy for a moment.

He heard Phichit sigh beside him "Yuuri, honey, you're not helping your case form earlier."

Victor tilted his head curiously at the Thai boy "What case?"

Yuuri squeaked and gently slapped a hand over his friend's mouth "The case we're not going to talk about!"

"Uhuh."