Sybil Hour - Chapter 1

The crowd roared.

The great roar soared from the huge amphitheatre that stood proud and tall at the center of Gashier. The old cobblestone walls shook with great intensity, anyone present at that moment would have been fearful of the ancient open roof structure collapsing, but everyone seemed unconcerned.

Gashier, the female only city was filled with a tribe of ancient seers. A tribe that stood at the heart of the stronghold of the Old Religion, the religion of Magic. Their importance to the Religion could be seen through their unique power to contact the gods of the Old Religion through visions and a deep trance a Sybil could spend days in. They were perceived as the only messengers of the gods, and their words and visions were viewed as true and important to the survival of the Religion. Rumors even had it that they were the ones that really governed the Religion and not the Council Of Char.

The gathering of the Sybil was something rare in the old religion. The sacred tribe of females only ever gathered for one sole purpose.

Silu-Tza; the Cubed games.

The Cubed game is a tradition held once every six hundred years to appoint a new Oracle. An Oracle was the only one that could truly harness the powers of the all the gods of the Old Religion, the only one the gods could use as their one true host.

Everyone, both Sybil and other creatures of the religion looked forward to such an event, an event to be recorded in history. Ogres stomped, witches wailed, sprites provided the crowd with sweet melody from their flutes. Everyone present at the Sybil amphitheatre all held one emotion; Excitement! An emotion they could barely contain.

At the center of the Amphitheatre stood four champions who would take part in the Cubed games, four females that would take on destiny and step into the bossom of the gods.

First stood Zepha, a well built female, with strong calves and biceps that could snap a log into millions of tiny twigs. A female that had not only been trained in the art of seeing beyond reality, but was also trained in the toughest of battle strategies, one even a skilled assassin could not best.

Next stood Freya, with hair like the golden sun that beat on the backs of the creatures of the old religion. A Sybil also trained in the art of healing by the tribe's healer, a skill that could prove useful in such a perilous test.

Third was a very skilled Sybil popularly known across Gashier, Tetania, someone majority of the speculating crowd and every Sybil believed would win the games because of her exceptional skill of bringing others into a vision along with her, a skill not even the tribe head possessed. Her vast popularity amongst her peers and across the Religion was one of the main reasons the amphitheatre was overflowing with spectators.

Last but certainly not the least stood Nikki. A very unskilled Sybil who has had absolutely no training whatsoever, but still insists on taking part in a game many are not so fortunate to emerge from alive, not to speak of victorious; the very reason why only four Sybils stepped up for the games.

The presence of the last member at the centre of the amphitheater shocked everyone present at the event.

"Why would a nobody, someone that is known as a screwup be allowed in the games?", they all wondered, but many dismissed it thinking it was a scheme of the tribe elders just trying to show that even the dirt of the earth could take part in the game.

As far as anyone was concerned, Nikki, was that dirt at the bottom of their shoe they would do anything to get rid of.

"Maybe they hope that she will die in the cube and they'll finally be rid if her", most told themselves and scoffed.