15: (Al-Hijr)- The Rocky Tract

Bismillah-ir-Rahman-ir-Rahim.

In the Name of Allâh, the Most Beneficent, the Most Merciful. All the praises and thanks be to Allâh, the Lord of the 'Alamîn . The Only Owner of the Day of Recompense. You (Alone) we worship, and You (Alone) we ask for help. Guide us to the Straight Way. The Way of those on whom You have bestowed Your Grace , not (the way) of those who earned Your Anger, nor of those who went astray .

____________

15: (Al-Hijr)- The Rocky Tract

Introduction

This chapter was revealed in Mecca and contains 99 verses.  Its title comes from the Rocky Tract that is mentioned in verses 80 to 84.  The majority of scholars believe this refers to the people of Thamud and the rocky tract is an allusion to their stone cities.  Its topics and style are very similar to Chapter 14, Abraham, and it is believed that they were revealed at around the same time.  In this chapter we learn about God’s boundless grace and the inherent danger in Satan’s plans for humankind.

_________

Theme of the Surah

Thus the surah shares with other surahs revealed during the same period the same subject matter and general features. Likewise, it addresses the needs and requirements of that period when the Islamic message faced the ignorance, or jahiliyyah, that prevailed in Arabia. The same applies to any similar period in history. Indeed it even applies now.

Topics of the Surah

1- The surah then relates the story of Adam and Satan, following it to its conclusion when human life on earth comes to an end and people return to their Lord where the warnings given to them will be fulfilled.

2- The surah refers to some scenes from the universe: the heavens and the constellations, the expanded earth and the mountains set firm on it, the plants that demonstrate a balanced method of creation, the winds full of moisture, water and drinking, and the life, death and resurrection of all mankind.

3- The surah explains the law that God has set in operation concerning His message and people’s attitudes to it, either accepting and believing in it or rejecting it.

4- The surah relates the fates suffered by the peoples of Lot, Shu'aib and Salih.

Though the main topics of the surah are:

warning to those who rejected his Message, opposed it tooth and nail, and ridiculed him, and

comfort and encouragement to the Holy Prophet,

It does not mean that this Surah does not contain admonition and instructions. As a matter of fact, the Quran never confines itself to mere warning; rebuke and censure, but resorts to precept in every suitable place. Accordingly, this Surah contains brief arguments for Tauhid on the one hand, and admonition in the story of Adam and Satan on the other.

_______

Lesson's-

Verse 1

The chapter begins with the same combination of letters that began chapter 14 - Alif, Lam, Ra.  Over the centuries there has been much speculation as to the meaning of these combinations of letter that begin 29 chapters of Quran.  Their meaning however, is known only to God.  The Quran makes the truth manifest.