51: (Al-Dhariyat)- Scattering Winds

Bismillah-ir-Rahman-ir-Rahim.

In the Name of Allâh, the Most Beneficent, the Most Merciful. All the praises and thanks be to Allâh, the Lord of the 'Alamîn . The Only Owner of the Day of Recompense. You (Alone) we worship, and You (Alone) we ask for help. Guide us to the Straight Way. The Way of those on whom You have bestowed Your Grace , not (the way) of those who earned Your Anger, nor of those who went astray .

____________

51: (Al-Dhariyat)- Scattering Winds

(The Scattering Winds)

Section (juz' 26-27)

Number of Verses: 60

Sūrat adh-Dhāriyāt (arabic: سورة الذاريات‎, "The Winnowing Winds") is the 51st sura of the quran with 60 ayat. It mentions Abraham, Noah, the day of judgement and otherwise reiterates the essential Quranic message.

The Chapter has sixty Verses and it was revealed in Mecca.

The title of the Chapter derives from its opening Verse:

"By the scattering winds"

connoting harsh winds that scatter everything. The Chapter opening and closing with a treatment of Resurrection deals mainly with Divine Unity, Divine Manifestations in the world of existence, the story of angels receiving Abraham's (as) hospitality and bearing to him the glad tidings of a child to be born to him, warning against destruction of the people of Lot (as), and a reference to a number of Prophets (as) like Moses and Noah (as) and the peoples of 'Ad and Thamud.

Making mention of the history of former Prophets (as) and the hardships they experienced for guiding their peoples, the Chapter in question calls the Noble Prophet of Islam (S) to persevere and be patient in proclaiming his Call.

It is narrated from Imam Sadiq (as):

"One who recites Surah al-Dhariyat in the day or at night, God Almighty will improve his life and sustenance, providing him with abundant provision, and illuminating his grave with a light shining to the Day of Resurrection [provided that he acts upon Qur'anic Injunctions]."

___

Benefits

There are 60 ayaat in this Surah and it was revealed in Makkah. In the commentary of Majma'ul Bayan it is narrated from the Holy Prophet (S) that the reward for reciting this Surah is ten times the number of moving winds or breezes.

Imam Ja'far as-Sadiq (a.s.) has said that recitation of this Surah increases ones sustenance and makes it easy to earn. Drinking water in which this Surah was dissolved after being written acts as a remedy for back problems (e.g. backaches). If a pregnant woman wears a talisman of Surah ad-Dhariyaat, her pregnancy and delivery will be easy. Keeping this Surah close to a dying person makes his death easy.

___

Lessons

This sixty-six verse chapter was revealed in Mecca and thus discusses basic Islamic concepts. It deals with the Hereafter and presents us with an invitation to accept the Oneness of God. The name comes from the winds that scatter dust mentioned in the first verse. The verses of this chapter have been described short pithy sentences that teach us to free our mind from earthly pursuits and yearn for the Hereafter.