Getting Closer

"Denny. I thought you were asleep." Danielle said walking over to the computer.

"Nah, I don't sleep in hospitals. I'm scared I'll never wake up. Can I ask you something personal?" He asked.

"If I say no?" Danielle questioned.

"I'll hold my breath which will stop my heart, killing me.You here.You'll be charged with murder. Lifetime in prison being loved by a big old girl named Hilde." He said, smiling.

"My choices are homicide charges or inappropriate personal questions from a patient?" She asked.

" I know. Kinda sucks." He responded.

"Hold your breath. I'll take my chances with Hilde. I can do girl-on-girl."

"Oh! See, how can I blackmail you if you bring up girl-on-girl?" he asked.

"What do you want to know?" She asked then sitting on his bed looking at him.

"Do you have a man in your life?" He asked smiling the grabbing her hand.

"No. Not anymore. And never, ever again." She said sternly

" Good." He replied.

"Good?" Danielle asked.

"Yeah. Good. It means I won't have to fight anyone for you." He told her.

"Why do you think I want you to fight for me?" she asked.

"Hello. You are in love with me." He said.

"Am l?" she asked.

" Yeah, it's not your fault. I mean, I'm well-off, but I'm not into money. I'm smart, but I'm not a know-it-all. I'm funny. I'm I'm really nice. I love animals. And I'm hot. I'm a catch. You know, if you can wrap your head around the enlarged failing heart and the dependency to IV meds." He replied.

"You're right. I am so in love with you. It's a shame really. Since I'm with Hilde and all." She told him laughing.

She kissed him on the cheek and left looking back at him one last time. She smiled when she seen him.

**************

Danielle was writing notes at the nurses station and then she saw Carter a nurse walk over to her. 

"Someone is wanting you." She said. 

"I'll be there in a minute." Danielle replied smiling. 

"She likes him." She heard George say. 

"Shut it!" She exclaimed laughing throwing a box of tissues at him, hitting him. 

Danielle walked in Denny's room, seeing Lily asleep on his bed beside of him. 

"She's gotten attached to you, you want me to move her?" I asked. 

"She's fine. I love kids." He told her smiling, making her blushing looking away. 

"I wish her father could say that." Danielle replied sitting in the chair beside of the bed. 

"Why?" He asked. 

"He said 'She was a mistake' and he basically treats her like shit so I got full custody." She said. 

"I see the way you treat her." he replied. 

"Like a princess." They both said. 

She laughed and Denny smiled. They both heard a beep and she looked at Denny's machines. He was fine. LILY. Danielle immediately picked up her daughter setting her on the couch. 

"What's going on?" Denny asked concerned because he loved Lily.   

"Sugar is low." Danielle said. 

"Miranda!" She shouted then Max barked loud. 

She came bolting in the room and looked at Lily. 

"I'll be back." Miranda told her then coming back with a bottle of insulin. 

Denny was watching with worried eyes, then Danielle injected Lily with the insulin. Then seconds later Max licked Lily making her giggle. Danielle checked her pump then put a huge dose in it for the day. Miranda left to see what Yang was doing. 

"I was scared for her." Denny told Danielle. 

"Me too." She replied. 

He leaned in then they kissed. They broke apart. 

"I gotta go." She said then quickly leaving.