c h a p t e r 1: white sleeves

(ruby//twenty øne piløts)

______'s point of view;

i leaned forward a bit nervously, spinning my earphones around my finger. i sighed, a couple of helium balloons were being held by the chair arm-holders.

god knew who the canadian exchange student was. all we know is that they are staying with us for a month, so it better be good.

my thought were interrupted as a rather big group of people gathering around the airport arrivals department.

i furrowed my eyesbrows and stood up, leaving the balloons and the big card tied to the chair hand.

it was extremely crowded, but the second before i could reach the doors, i heard someone shout "finn!".

there he was.

finn wolfhard. the boy i have been crushing on since i got into stranger things, the boy that i have stalked in social media. the boy i would talk with my internet friends with a lot.

i covered my mouth with my hands, tears forming. finn wolfhard is here, in my country, in front of me. just a few meters away from me, carrying a dark blue, decent-sized suitcase with him.

he looked around, and that's when i heard him. he asked for the exchange family.

my mom brought me the big sign that said "welcome, canadian exchange student!" and the couple of already deflated helium balloons.

finn smiled widely as he pointed to- us? no, it couldn't be. there was no possible way.

my heart skipped various beats as finn walked closer towards me, stretching out his hand for me to shake.

"you're the family who is having the canadian exchange student for (school name), is that right?" he smiled widely as he looked at both me and my mom.

i couldn't even speak a word. i realized what it meant; to go to the same school, live in the same house, and god, share the same bed. i will be breathing the same air as him.

"y-yes." i choked on my words. i heard him let out a small chuckle, that made my heart melt.

"well, i'm finn. finn wolfhard, you know, stranger things?" he spoke as we headed towards the car.

"y-yeah. me and my parents love the show." i smiled widely. i still couldn't believe it.

"so, you are...?" he trailed off slowly. i could feel my face heat up a bit.

"oh, uh, i'm _________. nothing special, really." i shrugged. every single second i was with him, my heart beat up out of my chest.

"no, no. i like it. it's pretty." he smiled. oh god, that smile. that smile could make anyone's day better.
wait,
did the finn wolfhard just compliment me?

i barely could breathe with him sitting next to me inside the car.

the car ride was pretty silent, except for my mom and finn's conversation. which was extremely awkward. you know, the basic 'parents' questions, like "how are your grades going?" or "how's school?" even something that made me choke on my iced tea; "do you have a girlfriend?"

"mo-om!" i softly (and jokingly) punched her shoulder.
i knew this whole month would be really awkward, especially since my parents are home, and stuff.

☁️✨

after about 20 minutes, we finally arrived to our 'humble' home, which was okay, i guess. it wasn't too big and only had two bedrooms, two bathrooms, one kitchen and living room. but i still liked it, it was nice.

"okay honey, why don't you show finn your room and where he's sleeping while i go pack for tonight?" she said, a smile plastered on her face. where is she going to tonight anyways?

i leaned in a bit, so only mom could hear. "finn is not sleeping with me, is he?" i whispered. "oh sweetie, he is. but you can go to our bed since we're not gonna be there." my mom smiled again. wait, i didn't hear that right: the finn wolfhard is sharing a bed with me?

"wait-where are you going anyways?" i furrowed my eyebrows. "oh, didn't dad tell you? we're leaving for vacation tomorrow. your dad has been working so hard, so we decided to go to the beach house and spend some time there. we're leaving tonight!" she smiled excitedly.

"aaaand for how much?" i raised my eyebrows. "for a month. we'll be back the day before finn leaves." she calmly replied. oh god, let's not think about the day finn leaves. i mean, meeting a celebrity like that and then they leave is heartbreaking, honestly.

"o-okay." i stutter, turning on my heels and walking away silently. still couldn't get over that my favorite celebrity is right here, in my house.

"hey!" finn smiles, getting up from the couch. we lock eyes for a couple of minutes, before realizing what we were doing. "o-oh, here, let me show you my room." i signalled at the hallway, tucking a piece of my (long/short) hair behind my ear.

"ok, so this is were you're staying, sleeping, i mean only if you want to... my parents room is free since they're leaving tonight-" finn cut off the words rolling off my tongue.  he placed a hand on my shoulder. "it's okay, i'll take your room." he smiled once again. fuck. i'm lowkey, no, highkey dying and screaming inside.

"big stranger things fan, am i right?" he chuckled. he must have noticed my poster next to my desk and my eleven illustration standing on my night desk, next to my necklaces. "yep!" i nervously laughed, scratching the back of my neck.

"don't be nervous." he took ahold of my hand- holy shit. finn is holding my hand. i didn't even know how the hell this was possible?

timeskip, 7:11 pm

"well we'll be going now!" mom shouted. "behave well, ok kids?" she ruffled my hair.
"and remember, you're still 14!" she shouted, exiting the door. that probably meant she didn't want us to, uh... well, you know.

mom and dad had already left, so that left me and finn alone. "soo..." i fiddled with my fingers.

"what do you want to do?" i asked, turning my attention to him. "i don't really mind." finn shrugged. "we could re-watch stranger things?" he suggested and i nodded.

"so, you get the snacks and i'll put on the show." i smiled and he nodded, heading towards the kitchen.

---

"woah... that was amazing!" finn cheered. it warmed my heart seeing him so happy. "y-yeah!" i followed along.

"i'll go get more popcorn." finn stood up. now was my chance.

i also stood up, going to the bathroom. i grab a box of blades and tear it open, carefully grabbing one.

i examined the thing but sharp object that i was used to ever since i was diagnosted with depression.

i sighed deeply. i put the sharp blade against my wrist, that was already pretty bruised. i slid the blade against my skin slowly, but started to speed up, forming literally a bloody mess.

"_______? popcorn is done." finn knocked on the door slowly. "y-yeah, i'm coming in a sec!" i shouted. i quickly wiped off the blood of the bathroom sink and threw it in a litter full of used blades and bloody papers.

i quickly slid down the sleeves of my shirt, exiting the room and sitting down with finn.

i wasn't even focused on the show, but on finn, just thinking about him made my heart flutter.
i didn't even noticed i put my head on his shoulder.

before i knew it, my arm was around finn's shoulders, my left. i drifted off to slumber. the next thing alarmed me; finn was playing with my hair and i could feel him giving me a small peck on the forehead.

one thing i didn't notice;

my sleeves were white.