Chapter 9: Fly with me

Chapter 9:

    For a moment I just sat there shell shocked. Replaying our conversation over and over in my head. I now knew that Kimi had feelings for me, but he would never act on them. I understood that his wife had hurt him so badly. He has to move on someday though. I sat there dumbly as if I was hoping he would pop back through the door to announce he had changed his mind. I had no such luck though.

    In walked through the paddock in Spain. Testing had just begun, I had a large coffee in hand and I was ready for anything. I could see Kimi from afar. He was talking to Seb and eating an ice cream.

    “Well hello darlings.” I greeted as I walked up to the. Seb automatically hugged me while the iceman just stood there awkwardly.

    “How was your flight.” Seb asked enthusiastically.

    “It was fine I guess. I’m happy to be here with you guys though.” I smiled. Someone was calling Sebastian from the redbull garage.

    “I have to go.” He groaned. He kissed me on the cheek as he left.

    “Why don’t you fly with me any longer?” Kimi asked bluntly.

    “I don’t know. I just figured you didn’t want to be with me any longer than you had to.” I replied.

    “You know that’s not true. Just because I don’t think it’s a good idea for me to date you doesn’t mean I don’t want to be around you.” Kimi said.

    “Well I honestly don’t know what you want.” I shot back. He was so inconsistent. I could never figure him out.

    “Heidi don’t be that way.” He sighed “Just give me time, I just need more time.”

    “You’ve had a lot of time already. I’m not sure if I can wait.” I replied honestly. Kimi grabbed hold of my hand and sparks flew through me.

    “Please. I’m trying.” For the first time I could see a hint of emotion in his cool blue eyes. I nodded in response. He placed a kiss on my forehead then he walked into the Ferrari garage.

    I couldn’t believe that I had agreed to wait. Part of me really wanted to trust him, I saw the look in his eyes. But the other part of me said I was setting myself up for failure.

    Later that night I met Kimi in his hotel room. He had sent a message via one of the hotels employees that he needed to see me. I looked a mess with my hair in a bun and just wearing sweats. I knocked on the door. Seconds later Kimi opened it. He already had a beer in his hand. The corners of his mouth turned up, but did not give a full smile.

    “Hi Kimi.” I said softly.

    “Come in. I have something to ask you.” I followed him into the room and sat down on the couch in his luxury suite. He took the seat across from me.

    “Heidi.” He said.

    “yes?” I answered.

    “There is something that has been in my head all day. Bothering me.” Kimi diverted his gaze for a moment.

    “What is it?” I asked curiously.

    “This is hard for me to say. Its been… a long time since I’ve been in this position.” I looked to the floor.

    “Its okay. Just say it Kimi.” I watched the Finn, he met my gaze.

    “Heidi, I want you to travel with me again.”

    “That’s what you called me in here for? To whine about how I didn’t fly here with you?” I cocked an eyebrow.

    “Yes, I think my girlfriend should travel with me.” His ice blue eyes were locked with mine.

    “I will see what I can do but not promises.” then it hit me “Wait! Girlfriend? What are you talking about Kimi?”

    “Heidi, I would like for you to be my girlfriend.” I sat there shocked listening to the words come out of his mouth. Is this real life?

    “Well… uh. Wow, um. Yes, I… yes I want you be your girlfriend.” A million thoughts and emotions were running through my mind. And Kimi got the biggest grin on his face.

    “You don’t know how happy this makes me.”