Chapter 13: Comforting

I woke up in an unfamiliar setting. I moved around a little and noticed someone’s arms wrapped around my waist. I glanced over my shoulder and saw Mark. Panic struck when it fully hit me that I was cuddled up with Mark Webber in his bed. Not because I thought we had done anything, because I know we didn’t. I fell asleep watching the movie and he must have moved me here. But because I knew Kimi would go mad if he saw me. I quietly snuck out of the bed and back to my room. As soon as I got back into my bed and closed my eyes I heard a knock at the door. I groaned and went to the door. I opened it to see Kimi on the other side. He pushed his way into the room.

    “Where were you last night?” He growled.

    “Um.. I just went… out. I was tired of sitting in here alone.” I couldn’t look him in the eye. I have always been a terrible liar.

    “Really because I heard from another driver that you were with Mark last night. You haven’t answered any of my calls Heidi.” He was mad.

    “I left my phone here. I’m sorry.” I mumbled, while looking at the floor.

    “So you were with Mark?” He raised his voice.

    “He broke up with his girlfriend. I went to comfort him, as a friend. I’m his friend Kimi.” I pleaded.

    “Why are you so ignorant Heidi? These men do not want to just be ‘friends’ with you.” He was exasperated.

    “I’m not ignorant, KIMI. I just don’t make more of things than what they are. I didn’t even make that big of a deal about you getting some other girl pregnant! And I think that’s a pretty big thing. Don’t you? Maybe I should be really mad and blow up on you about that! If you are going to be mad at me for hanging out with my friends. Then I’m going to be mad about you for this.” I became angrier.

    “I’m completely within reason to be upset.” He yelled “You chose to forgive me. You shouldn’t have said it you did if you didn’t mean it.”

    “I don’t know if I can keep doing this.” My eyes were welling up with tears. I wanted things to work between Kimi and I. I wanted it so badly, but he just kept hurting me. What do you do when the one you love the most is also the one who hurts you the most?

    “I’m through with you.” I said through sobs.

    “What?” I could see anger in his eyes.

    “I don’t want to be with you anymore.” I managed.

    “So you’re just leaving again?” He through his hands in the air. “You’re such a moody girl. One minute you like me the next minute you’re freaking out.”

    “You were the one who came in here freaking out!” I yelled. “And besides. I’m not leaving. I will finish my job here, but I will have nothing to do with you Kimi Raikkonen.”

    “You will regret this. You won’t be able to stay away.” he crossed his arms.

     “Watch me.” I spat bitterly. “Now leave.”

    He huffed and turned to leave, slamming the door behind him. I instantly collapsed onto my bed. I buried my face in the thick white duvet. I wanted to scream, but I couldn’t. I couldn’t do anything but cry. I felt my phone vibrating so I reached for it. There was a text from Mark.

    ‘Are you okay? You left without saying anything.’ the text read.

    “Kimi and I broke up.’ It hurt to see the words on the screen. It was real, we had broken up. For good. I pressed send.

    Moments later I heard a knock on the door. I wiped my eyes and made an effort to look semi presentable. I looked through the peephole to see Mark Webber. Holding a box of chocolates ad a bottle of wine. I opened the door for him and he entered the room.

    “Are you alright Heidi?” he asked with real concern on his face. All I could do was shake my head no and then I collapsed into his arms like a rag doll. I began to sob again. Mark rubbed circles in my back. Every now and again assuring me it would be alright.

    I felt as if my world had shattered. Mark is such a great guy. His own girlfriend had just broken up with him and he was hear comforting me. He was a true friend. Unlike Kimi, he couldn’t be a gentlemen, or sweet and caring to save his life. I finally stopped crying momentarily and broke away from Mark.

    “Thank you for being here. You are amazing.” I sniffled.

    “Its no trouble doll. You don’t deserve to be treated like that. At least now you can move on to a man that can really be there for you.” I looked me in the eyes. I don’t know what came over me, but I pushed myself up on my tippy toes and pressed my lips to Mark’s. He instantly returned the kiss and wrapped his arms back around my waist.

         I broke the kiss. What kind of monster was I? Kissing Mark moments after breaking up with Kimi. I don’t even have feelings like that for Mark. My stomach was in knots with remorse. I don’t know what had gotten into me. Mark stood there looking confused.

    “I’m sorry. I think you should go.” I looked at the ground shamefully.

    “Okay.” He sighed. He sounded frustrated.

    I didn’t look up until I heard the door slam. When I did I noticed the bottle of wine and the chocolates were still laying on my bed. I quickly uncorked the wine and took a swig. Before I knew it I had drank the entire bottle and part of the contents of the mini-bar in the fridge. I sat floor looking at my phone, on the screen was a picture of Kimi and I. We were both smiling. A rarity for him, he looked so happy. I deleted the picture and emptied the remaining contents of a bottle of vodka into my mouth. I felt awful, worse than I ever had in my life. Everything seemed to be fading to black and then I passed out.