Chapter 23: A Breitling

Nico had qualified third for his home grand prix and I couldn’t be more proud of him. There was a formal dinner for all of the formula 1 drivers tonight and I was in my hotel room getting ready. I was wearing an emerald green floor length gown, it was ruched and very Grecian looking. My hair was styled in an updo. I went down the Nico’s room. He had given me a key earlier so I walked right in. I found him looking in the mirror making sure his hair was right.

    “You look very handsome.” I smirked, he turned to see me and his eyes went wide.

    “You are more beautiful every time I see you. I have no idea how you do it.” he pulled me towards him and kissed me.

    We arrived at the event where we were seated with Seb and Hanna as well as Fernando and his girlfriend. At least these were all people I could tolerate. Two seats at the table were empty. I guess whoever it was wasn’t showing up. The company was wonderful and the dinner was even better. The facilitators of the race had pulled out all the stops and the drivers deserved it. They worked hard and deserve to be treated like this.

    Later in the night they had dancing. Fernando and his girlfriend were doing an elegant tango, Seb and Hanna were goofing around and Nico kept looking down at his phone. He had been texting someone all night. I frowned. I knew this even though this is about the drivers I felt neglected. The urge for a cigarette hit me. I rarely smoked except for when I was stressed.

    “Hey baby?” I said to Nico. He finished typing on his phone before looking up.

    “Yeah?” He was distant.

    “I’m going to go to the ladies room. I’ll be back soon.” I excused myself.

    He was too busy looking at his phone to notice me leave the ballroom. I made my way out to the front of the hotel and pulled out a cigarette and lit it up. I took one drag and instantly felt some of the stress releasing. It is just an off night. it’s the night before the race and I know Nico is just focused on that, I shouldn’t take it so personally.

    “Can I bum a smoke?” someone asked.

    “You know I hate running into you all the time.” I turned to Kimi and held out the pack of cigarettes. He took one and lit it.

    “Sorry.” he mumbled.

    “I’m sorry.” I whispered.

    “What are you sorry for?” he looked at me confused.

    “For slapping you. Even if you deserved it… I was wrong.” I looked into his icey eyes.  He only nodded in acknowledgment to my apology. I finished my cigarette.

    “I need to get back in there.” he nodded again and I went inside to rejoin Nico.

    When I got back Nico was no longer at the table.

    “Where is Nico?” I asked Seb who was back at the table now. Fernando was also back, but his face was attached to his girlfriend’s.

    “I was just in the restroom.” Nico answered as he took his seat beside me. He smiled and kissed me.

    “How about we get out of here?” Nico asked.

    “Sure, where do you want to go?” I responded.

    “How about a walk?” He suggested.

    “Sure.” I beamed back at him. Whatever was going on earlier he had obviously gotten out of his system.

    We proceeded to walk hand in hand through the streets of Germany. Our formal attire caused us to get strange looks from the few people who were still out at this hour. I Nico held my heels in his other hand and my other hand held my dress up so that it did not drag the sidewalk. Nico led me through a beautiful park that was illuminated by gas streetlamps. It was incredibly romantic. I didn’t want the night to end, but my feet were growing tired from walking and I was beginning to become sleepy.

    “My feet hurt.” I whined plopping down on a park bench.

    “Well I well carry you darling.” He flashed a bright smile.

    “You can’t do that. I’m too heavy.” I frowned.

    “You’re tiny, my dear.” he held out his arms. I didn’t want to him to pick me up because I was self conscious but I was also very tired.

    “The hotel is such a long way away.” I tried to convince him, he couldn’t carry me.

    “I am very strong.” he chuckled. I knew arguing was useless. I allowed him to pick my up bridal style. I laid my head on his chest. My eyes felt so heavy.

    I woke up in my hotel room. I yawned and stretched out. I must have fallen asleep and Nico must have brought me back to my hotel room. I looked at the clock. There was only two hours till the race. I should have already been at the track. I jumped out of bed and quickly got dressed and rushed over to the track. I began to do my job talking to the VIP’s about Ferrari, but when the race started I went down to the Ferrari garage to watch. The race was amazing the Nico was 4th behind Sebastian, Lewis and Kimi. I watched the cars zip around the track. Suddenly there was a cumulative gasp from the  audience. I watched the monitors to see Sebastian’s car crashed into a wall. I was nervous for my friend as I watched them help me out of the car and bring him to an ambulance. I ran out into the paddock and saw Hanna standing there in a panic. I went over to her.

    “Hanna do you need me to take you to the hospital? I have a car.” I offered knowing she must be worried, even though it was a small accident it is always nerve racking. Honestly, I was nervous as well. She simply nodded with tears in her eyes. I lead her out to my Ferrari and we made our way to the hospital.

    Once at the hospital I sat in the waiting room with Hanna consoling her and waiting for news. I checked the results of the race. Nico won with Lewis in second, and Fernando in third. I looked up as the doctor came out holding a clipboard. Hanna sat up, eager to receive the news, grabbed my hand and squeezed it tight for comfort.

    “Well he checked out alright so far. We are going to do one more scan and then we can release him.” the doctor announced. I could see the relief on Hanna’s face. I was pleased to hear this news, I smiled at Hannah and rubbed her hand.

    “See he is going to be just fine.” I smiled.

    “Thank you for being here for me, and Seb. You’re such a good friend.” she wore a smile for the first time in two hours.

    “Of course.” I nodded.

    By the time Seb checked out of the hospital and I dropped Hanna off where she was staying it had gotten quite late. I was tired, but excited to go see my winner. Nico must be so proud to have won his home grand prix. Before returning to him I decided I would buy him a present. I stopped by a store and bought him a Breitling watch that I knew would be perfect for him. I had the sales woman tie a red bow around the box. It was a beautiful watch, worthy of my champion. I drove back to the hotel and headed straight up to his floor. I planned on surprising him since I had a keep to hit room.

    I walked into Nico’s hotel room and turned the corner to find Nico in bed with the black haired woman from practice one. I felt my heart breaking and I couldn’t breath. It was all over. The one man that I thought really love me didn’t really ever love me at all. He had been cheating on me the whole time. How stupid was I to think I had actually found a man that loved me? It was over, its all over. I give up.