¤Chapter Two¤

I picked myself up and continued to cry, my legs and arms burning like a motherfucker -- due to my own instability.

"I loved him...so much, Jane," I said through my sobs.

"I know, hon', I know..."
Jane's voice was sympathetic and shaky.

I walked back to my bed and asked Jane to get me an outfit, since I obviously wasn't stable enough to do anything simple anymore.

She pulled me out a grey sweater, a dark grey toboggan, blue jeans, and my black, wedged ankle boots.

I grabbed the clothes from her hands and started putting them on.

After I got dressed, I walked down stairs of my apartment to hang out at Jane's place. 

While walking down the stairs, my legs burned so badly -- must have been the fabric and the friction, because when i looked down, there were red slashes seeping through my jeans.

I started to cry again, questioning why I sliced myself open once more.

When I made it to Jane's part of the apartment complex, we sat and hung out on the couch, eating potato chips throughout the day.

We were watching T.v. when Jane decided to tell me something: "Hey, Melissa, I think I know something that can help you right now -- ya know, with the depression and cutting."

"Oh, really now?" I giggled  nervously. "And what would that be?"

"You can't tell anyone at all, okay?" Jane put her pinky out.

I looked at her and nodded my head, interlocking our pinkies like five-year-olds making a promise.

"Weed."

"Wait, what? Jane, are you serious?" I asked, shocked as hell.

"Dude, I'm serious; it's some good stuff, too." Jane analyzed my face, looking for some spark of enthusiasm for her oh-so-kind gesture.

"Okay, I guess I'll try it..?" I said, trying to sound confident with my response.

Jane bounced up and darted over to her room.

She came out with a pipe-looking-thingy that had some 'weed' in it.

I stared at Jane as she lit it and took a draw

I stared at Jane as she lit it and took a draw. She passed it to me and I didn't know what to do.

Seeing the look of "what the fuck do I do with this" face, she told me to hold it up to my mouth and that she'd light it for me.

She lit it and I inhaled the smoke. Once I took the draw, I coughed and felt like I was about to die.

She laughed and took it back.

We passed it back and forth, and in no time, we were making a ruckus and laughing uncontrollably.

We ate about every morsel of food that was at Jane's place; and after eating enough for a small family, we crashed on the couch.

I woke up feeling completely normal -- no head change -- and when I looked in the mirror, my eyes weren't red as hell.

I looked over at Jane and she was still asleep. Getting up, I looked for pen and paper. Once I found some, I left a note.

Hey, I headed home while you were asleep. Hope you slept well!
Love, Melissa.

I sat it on her lap, then headed out the door and upstairs -- back to my apartment.

I made it to the door and opened it only to find --

"Jim?!"
____________________________________
Word count: 552

Editor: kierstenjane2002