Chapter 29

I can't apologize enough for everything I've put you guys through. I'm so unbelievably sorry. For a long time, I felt like I couldn't write because I'd be forcing myself and it would make everyone unhappy. I really love you all and hope you enjoy my works and the many more to come. Please forgive me(:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Luke held up the keys to mom's car, shrugging slightly. I felt my eyes widen to a probably comical size, before I squeaked indignantly. What the hell were they thinking? Luke had only gotten his permit a few months ago! And an adult was supposed to be in the car with them at all times!

  I could feel my face heating up in anger and fear. What if they'd gotten hurt? Hadn't Kaylah and I barely managed to escape a car accident with our lives only a few weeks ago? Matt was openly appraising my sister, which earned him a thwack on the arm from me.

  I scribbled across my board furiously- What are you doing here? Are you out of your minds? I can''t even begin to express how angry I am. It's like the burning or a thousands suns!

 Kaylah and Luke just grinned identically as our mother came scurrying into the room, looking flustered but happy. I glowered disapprovingly at the twins, watching as they snickered. Jerks. I erased the words on the board, feeling my face flush with embarrassment. Of course, mom had drove them.

  "Are we interrupting something?" Mom asked, trying to pat down her blond ponytail. I shook my head furiously and Matt just smirked. 

 "Well, the doctor told me about your little 'incident' last night. And while I am extremely overjoyed you were able to finally talk again, that was pretty irresponsible, Cora." She fixed me a disapproving glance, but it was muddled by the look of euphoria on her face.

  "He also said we can take you home today!" She sing-songed, running over and giggling in my ear as she hugged me. I sighed in relief. No more being poked at and prodded. No more i.v. in my skin or too-clean smelling environment. I could finally go home.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

  The day drug on, Matt skipped school and hung out with me all day- while mom had to herd out the twins for school at around 8:30. She came back for lunch, but then had to go back to work- leaving Matt and I to ourselves.

  "So, you and Kinderson, eh?" Matt said, reclining in the chair placed next to my bed. My face burned and I used my dark hair as a curtain, nodding.

 I swore I heard- 'lucky son of a bitch.'- muttered under his breath, but I chose not to respond. Instead, I texted him.

Got the hots for my sister, you cradle robber?

 Matt laughed, deep and rich.

  "She is a pretty lass, I'll say that." I raised my eye-brows at 'lass'. He just smiled at me and looked at his watch, glinting against his tan skin. His dark eyes met mine as he gathered his keys.

 "See you around, Cora. Tell your sister not to be a stranger." He said, straightening up to leave. I felt panicked for a moment, I didn't want to be left alone in this creepy place. Mom wouldn't come and get me until at least 5.

Where are you going? I wrote.

   Matt just gave me a kind smile, something not normally seen on the ill-tempered boy, and said, "I probably shouldn't be here when he visits."

 Realization struck as Matt sauntered from the room with a wink. Leo should be here soon. I checked the time and saw that school let out a half-hour ago. He should be here any minute, in fact. Sure enough, not five minutes later, Leo strolled in- handsome as ever. Chestnut hair sticking up in small tuffs and his hazel eyes bright with warmth.