Chapter 7

The smile did not leave my face the rest of the weekend. Everything happened in a colorful blur, and when my phone rang Sunday morning, it was Jack. I jumped up and snatched it and then tried to be cool.

“Hello?”

“I know I was supposed to make you sick of sailing, but Sunday’s golf day.” He said. “I’ll be out at Laurel Farms all day with Dad.”

Laurel Farms was one of the nicest golf courses in the county. Or so I’d heard. It was now my least favorite place on the planet.

“Golf day?” I said, my smile disappearing.

“Yeah, Dad likes me to work on my game. Something about all the best deals are made on the golf course.”

“Is that true?”

“I don’t know. He doesn’t really like to talk when we’re golfing. My take is the deals are made after the game. Over scotch and cigars at the clubhouse.”

“Are you included in that part, too?

I heard his exhale. “Sometimes. Off the record, of course.”

“Well, I hope you make it to class tomorrow. Essay’s due, you know.”

“I was thinking about that,” he perked up. “How ’bout I pick you up on my way in?”

“You mean drive me to school?” Smile returning! Still being cool. “Sure, I’ll see you tomorrow then.”

I thought about riding to school with Jack Kyser and wondered how that would play out with our fellow classmates. Rachel would be all over me trying to get the inside story, and I was sure Julian would act disappointed. Then I remembered his call, but just as I grabbed my phone, Dad tapped on my door.

“Hey, kiddo. Mom said you had a visitor yesterday. Somebody with a yacht?”

The word yacht made me want to giggle more, and I was about to correct him. But I let it go. I was seeing a guy with a yacht. What had happened in a month?

“Yeah, remember the Kysers? I went over to their house to study that night?”

“I remember, and I wanted to talk to you about that.” Dad wasn’t smiling, and I was suddenly feeling less sure of my mom’s approval of Jack. He walked over and sat on my bedside next to me. I could tell he was choosing his words. “Those guys are a bit, well, over your head.”

“I know, Dad, but Jack’s really nice. You’d like him.”

“I’m sure, but I want you to take it easy with this guy. You’re a pretty girl, Anna. You’re smart and a good writer. Your mom and I think you could probably get a scholarship to a bigger college if you wanted to try for something like that.”

“I hadn’t really thought about trying for a scholarship.” I hadn’t thought about much of anything except Jack since school started.

“Just keep your eye on the prize, and don’t let some guy control your future, okay?”

“That’s a good way to look at it.” My eyes flickered down as I considered my dad’s approach versus Mr. Kyser’s. He patted my leg and got up to leave. “Oh, hey, Dad? I meant to ask you. I kind of already said yes, but Jack asked if he could pick me up for school in the morning. That’s okay, isn’t it?”

“I think that’s a great idea. Give me a chance to meet this yacht-boy.”

His sudden enthusiasm made me very concerned. This had disaster written all over it. “Please don’t be embarrassing.”

“I wouldn’t dream of it.”

“And no bananas. Please.”

“But you’re my Anna-banana. He needs to be aware of this.”

“Dad.”

“Okay, no bananas. Just remember what I said.”

“Sure.” I picked up my phone again when I saw I had a message. “Julian,” I murmured, pressing the voicemail button.

His voice was casual as always. “Hey, Banana-face, what’s up with the voicemail?” I rolled my eyes as I listened. He’d almost ruined everything. “Just making sure you got home okay. I’m sorry we got separated.” He paused then cleared his throat. “So anyway, see you around.”

I stared at the phone for a second then touched the face, saving the message. I went to my laptop and opened a new document. I could at least get his news feature written before any more time passed.