Chapter 20

The thriller hay maze was even bigger than the advertisement had made it sound. Giant speakers blasted spooky noises and eerie music across the grounds, and the place was jammed with groups of teenagers and families with younger kids. Twilight, the crisp air, and screams erupting every few moments from inside the maze created the perfect late-fall adrenaline rush.

Jack didn't say a word about our previous date night or how it had ended when he picked me up, and I wasn't going there. Every time I thought of his expression, how he'd shut down and shut me out, my stomach twisted with shame, which I also knew was stupid.

The upside was these feelings drowned out my frustrating desire for him. I'd returned his text simply verifying what time he could pick me up, and the radio precluded any conversation on the short drive to the pasture off the old county road. I was back to our previous agreement. We were only friends. Nothing more.

We arrived just in time to see Rachel and Brad, wearing orange and black fleece jackets and scarves. They walked over to meet us, and further in I saw Julian looking over the silent auction table. He was dressed in jeans and a dark blue shirt under a brown tweed blazer. His dark hair was tossed to the side, and a small smile touched my lips until I saw he was holding hands with Renee. Then I frowned. I hadn't realized he'd go back to her after we'd talked. Not that I had any right to be mad.

She was dressed in a tight sweater and jeans, and she whispered something in his ear. He smiled and walked away. Then she waved to Rachel, who grabbed my arm and pulled me over to the silent auction area. Each item had a little card beside it to hold the handwritten bids, and I saw a small metal figure that looked like a miniature version of Julian's runner. My finger lightly touched the band of the dragonfly ring hidden under my glove. So far I hadn't taken it off except to bathe and wash my face.

"Hey, Rach! I'm so glad you guys are here," Renee said. "We can go through the maze together. It's supposed to be really scary."

"Chicken?" Rachel laughed. "Who set it all up?"

"Mr. Hawkins donated the land, and he got some of the guys from the ranch to help."

Rain Hawkins was one of the few farmers left in South County, and one of Renee's relatives owned a horse ranch in Midlind.

"Is that one of Julian's sculptures?" I asked pointing to the small runner.

"Yeah, I put that together to help out," Julian said, handing a bag of popcorn to Renee.

"Oh, hey," I said, trying to be casual. "I like it."

"Make a bid," he grinned. "I know I've spoiled you, but it's for a good cause."

"Spoiled me?" I frowned. "What..."

"You like something, I make it for you." He smiled, and I looked down again quickly.

"Oh, right," I said.

"What did Julian make for you?" Renee asked.

I noticed Jack and Brad walking toward us. "Looks like we're ready to start," I said, ignoring her.

"One of those Helen Freed pieces." Julian said taking Renee's hand and pulling her toward the entrance. "Who's ready to get lost?

"Didn't somebody see the Catman sneaking around this field?" Brad teased.

"Shut up, Brad." Renee put a handful of popcorn into her mouth.

"Somebody's about to be screaming," Brad sang out.

We handed over our tickets and started into the maze. Renee and Rachel were giggling nervously as we walked, waiting for something to happen. Jack held out his arm to me, and I took it, not minding a little temporary protection, regardless of the source.