Chapter 16

As if to help me in my resolve, Jack was taken out of the class we shared and moved into an accelerated independent study. Now I only saw him at lunch when everyone gathered in the quad.

Brad had gotten a brand-new cherry-red Camaro as an early birthday-Christmas present, and it was the talk of the school. I wasn’t the muscle car type, but I had to admit it was a slick ride and perfect for him. Rachel was thrilled, and even Julian had seemed impressed when Brad had wheeled it into the student lot.

“We need to see what that baby can do.” Julian grinned, clapping hands with Brad as he straddled the concrete bench where we sat having lunch.

“After tomorrow’s game, we’ll go down to the old beach road, and you can see what driving a new car feels like,” Brad said with his usual star-football-player swagger.

Rachel walked up with Renee Barron and the two joined us.

“What’s going on?” Rachel asked, sitting down in front of Brad. Jack was with us today as well, but he didn’t seem interested in the conversation. I was doing my best not to be interested in him. Time was passing, and though I still missed him, I was keeping my vow.

“The guys want to pit the Camaro against Julian’s T-bird after the game tomorrow,” I said.

“Won’t Julian’s car just blow up?” Rachel laughed, but Renee studied him.

“Not cool, Blondie. Respect your elders,” Julian stood and flipped one of Rachel’s locks over her shoulder. “Besides, my car has seen way more action than that new toy.”

Rachel frowned, “Did you get overheated in welding?”

Brad grinned and leaned forward, wrapping his arms around Rachel’s waist. “We’re catching up.”

“I love your car,” Renee said in her smooth purr to Julian. They were standing next to each other now, and he put his arm over her shoulder. “And my car loves you. It’s been a while.”

“Yes it has,” she said, moving closer to him. I saw Jack’s eyes flick to them and then to me. I looked down at my shoes.

“Well, I’m not planning to race Brad,” Julian announced, straightening and shoving his hand in his front pocket. I saw the little dragonfly peeking out. “I was thinking we could take turns test-driving. See who’s the biggest puss.”

“I’ll come,” Renee smiled.

“Yes, you will,” Julian winked at her, and she laughed, hitting him on the arm. “I’ll pick you up for the game.”

“I’d like to see that,” Jack said, and I studied his face wondering why. He’d almost completely stopped joining us in extracurriculars now. “Go to the game with me, Anna?”

My mouth dropped open, and both Rachel and Renee’s eyes flew to me, waiting for my answer. I wasn’t super-confident in my “be strong” vow just yet, but I didn’t see a way out. I shrugged. “Sure.”

“You interested in a race, Silver Spoon?” Brad was super-cocky today, but for once it didn’t bother me.

“Jeeps are no match for Camaros,” Jack said distracted. I couldn’t tell what was on his mind, but he looked at me and smiled. “I’ll pick you up and we can go for a few minutes—just to see what happens. And then, whatever you want.”

I nodded wondering what that could mean, but I was determined not to be the one starting anything this time. Julian hopped up on the bench and leaned down to touch my nose.  

“That cute little nose for news is irresistible,” he said. I batted his hand, but I appreciated the save. “Next story you can add professional driver to my list of awesome.”