Chapter 12

My euphoria over my new gig was dampened only by my concern for what was happening with Lucy. I’d considered going by the hospital, but it was more likely she was already home. I hated thinking of her in that house with only one person there for comfort. Who knew what the other two would say to her.

I wasn’t sure if I should call or text her or if her phone would even be on, and without really considering the possibilities, I turned the wheel and drove the distance to their mansion on Peninsula Avenue. My nerves vibrated in my chest as I knocked on the side door, and I nearly fainted with relief when Jack opened it and then smiled.

“You look very professional.” He pulled me through the doorway and planted a kiss on my lips.

So many emotions were rushing through me, I couldn’t tell how I felt. His words last night were still in my head along with his tone of finality, but I wasn’t ready to question him. I was so happy to see him, to kiss him.

“I had an interview—got a job working at the news office in Fairview.”

Eyebrows rose. “Congrats. That’s just what you wanted to do, isn’t it?”

“Yeah.” I smiled as he ushered me into the house. “At least for now. It’s the right field and everything. But how’s Lucy? Can she have visitors? Would she want to see me?”

“I think that’d be great,” he said. “She’s less down today. Rachel sent over some flowers, and she’d probably like to see a friendly face.”

I wasn’t surprised Rachel had heard the news—more that she hadn’t said anything to me about it. But I’d been distracted all day with everything that had happened. Jack led me upstairs to Lucy’s bedroom. It was the first time I’d seen it, and I was amazed at how beautiful it was.

The entire second level of the house was floored with heart pine, and Lucy’s room had the same on her vaulted ceilings. The walls were painted a soft golden hue, and the furniture was dark mahogany. Her bed was piled high with pillows and Battenberg lace, and a beautiful Edwardian armchair with a pretty shell design was beside it. I sat there and reached for her hand. Jack slipped out of the room.

“How are you feeling?” I asked.

“Like a complete idiot,” she said without emotion.

I chewed my lip, unsure how to respond. So I just stroked the top of her hand and looked down at it.

“Have you talked to Julian?” she asked.

I nodded. “He wanted me to tell you he waited at the hospital, but when your dad showed up, he had to go.”

“Oh, god, I’m so embarrassed,” she moaned covering her face with both hands. “Would you please tell him I’m sorry?”

“Sure, only I don’t think he expects…”

She clasped my hand. “I just wanted to escape for a little while. You know? I didn’t mean for anything bad to happen. It was just supposed to make me feel relaxed, but I guess after a few drinks—”

“You could’ve died,” I said softly.

“I know,” she breathed, releasing me. “Would you just tell him… please just tell him I said sorry.”

“You could tell him.”

“No,” she said and looked down. “I can’t see him again. After what all I said, it would be too… humiliating. I’d just really appreciate it if you’d tell him I’m sorry for all of it.”

I nodded. “Jack says you’ll be back at school in a week.”

“Like it matters. We’ll be gone by Christmas.”