Promises

A shiver raced, unbidden, across her scales. Of all the dragons, she was stuck with the clever one. She glanced sideways at the Rainwing, noting the way he seemed to flicker at the edges as his scales tried to blend into the stone of the library around them. It seemed to be a nervous, subconscious thing, the way some dragons fiddled with their treasure when they got anxious or confused. Despite that - even in his mind - Boto seemed to completely calm and collected. It was unusual to find a dragon so completely in control.

It was rather refreshing, really.

"What do you know about Darkstalker?" She asked hesitantly. Deep from the bowels of the mountain she heard the whisper of thought, Far more than he should.

Boto shrugged. "It's more of what I don't know that interests me. I know that he was real, that he was powerful, and that the Nightwings are still scared of him. Other than that, nothing."

It's more than you should know. She thought worriedly. In her mind she could see something terrible - and something wonderful - two different outcomes that could happen depending on what she said now. The choice was easy - but it was also impossible. The wonderful future - the one she might one day want, but certainly didn't now - meant that she had to tell Boto - a dragon she barely knew - about the Nightwing truth.

And then telling him hers.

Not now, it could wait. But then again, maybe it couldn't. She opened her mouth, then closed it again. Boto looked at her quizzically,  but said nothing. She had a feeling that he would listen, but she wasn't sure how to take the conversation in that direction. Throwing caution to the wind she said, "Before we learn about dragons born long ago, tell me your story."

His eyes flashed amber, a streak of red racing across his scales, as his thoughts screamed How does she know?! They were quickly followed by the worried Why can't I control my scales around her?  Finally, a chink in his armor. Perhaps he wasn't quite so controlled after all. Then he answered, "I'll tell you, but if the others find out . . . Don't ruin me Doomsayer." There was genuine fear in his voice, fear of rejection.

"I won't." She smiled slightly, offering the promise: "Once you've told me your tale, then I'll tell you mine." All of it.

No.

You don't control me, Darkstalker. Be silent.

I'll still hear you. Both of you.

Yes, but I won't hear you. 

She turned back to the real world, listening as Boto said to her, "I'll tell you later, at the underground lake. I don't want anyone to hear this. He scowled as the thought Especially not you. marched through his head.

"The what?" She'd never heard of a lake - underground or otherwise - near the school. She'd have to find out later, she realized, because the Rainwing seemed too annoyed to tell her anything. Already he'd turned back to the scroll rack, pulling out two scrolls labeled The Age of Magic and DarkSight. It was an old romance about two dragons with opposing ideals trying to find love. She'd never bothered to try and read it, but apparently that was about to change.

She sighed and pulled out a scroll called The Perfect Project and headed to the front of the Library. She hadn't realized how far back they'd gone. 

She didn't realize that these scrolls would be very, very important.