The Queen

"Hello? Anyone?" Doom called out in a too small voice. She hated this feeling of abandonment, hated the way her words reflected back at her without actually giving any sort of reply. She hated the way her mind jumped to the worst of conclusions and her heart raced. "Boto? Starflight? . . . Webs?" She heard something slam behind her and jumped, whirling around.

Nothing was there. Nothing but an empty library and a maze of bookshelves.

In the distance she heard an echo, bouncing through the dry stone walls to her. "She's dead."

A tremor worked its way down her spine. Fear worked its way into her heart. For the first time in a long time she felt the need to use her magic. The last time she'd used it had been almost a year ago, and though she knew it wouldn't harm her, couldn't harm her, it wasn't something she actually felt the need to do. 

She remembered the spell she'd cast immediately after discovering her magic, using the wisdom of the animi before her to protect herself indefinitely. She had first turned the power onto her scales, so that her soul would never be in danger. Then she'd done the really brilliant bit: She'd made said scales impervious to magical harm. She could still be hurt, though not too badly, but would never have to fear the touch of another's spell nor the horror of scales turning to stone.

It had protected her for moments like these.

Doomsayer stepped over a half-full pool and gazed into it, whispering, "Water," she hesitated, figuring out how to make it as precise as possible, "Show me where the other dragonets in Jade Mountain Academy are at this moment. After five minutes or when I leave return to normal water without any hint of enchantment." 

The water shimmered, then went blank. Doom tried again, "Water, follow all previously mentioned criteria, but this time only show me where the majority of dragonets who attend this school are."

This time it shimmered and stayed still showing bright evening light shining down into a valley near the lake. The dragons were gathered around something forming a tight circle. It reminded her of an arena, especially as she saw the way the dragons were chanting. She couldn't hear anything - that hadn't been part of the spell - but she could imagine the resonating Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight!

Doom broke the spell and ran to the Prey center, looking for that valley. As she leaped out into the open air she took a moment to savor the feel of wind in her scales. Then she angled her wings and turned towards the lake. Valley after valley darted past under her wings, but none had dragons in them. Then she heard the sound of voices.

"The queen is dead!" "Dead! Dead!" Chanted about a quarter of the dragons.

"The heir is false!!" "False! False!" Another quarter shouted in response.

The rest were simply watching the battle that took place in the center of the writhing mass of claws and scales. Doom landed, dodging a careless venom-tipped tail as she tried to get closer to the center. A small gap opened, and she saw the flash of red scales and orange wings. Another gap and she saw a blink of scarlet flame.

She shoved her way through the crowd, ramming a skinny green Seawing to the side as she finally saw what was happening. Two Skywings were fighting, one with completely orange scales, the other with red scales and dark orange wings that didn't exactly match the rest of his body. She didn't know the first one, but the other . . . Thrush? 

For the first time she really noticed him, realizing that though his wings were large they were no where near as well muscled as the rest of his body. What she'd once taken for thinness was in fact wiry strength, and his almost metallic black claws were razor sharp. 

Thrush pummeled the other dragon's belly with his hind claws, holding him to the ground with his front talons. "Do you yield, Peregrine?" he hissed.

The other twisted into a tight spiral and shot his wings out, getting away from Thrush. "Not so long as you support the false queen." He opened his jaw slightly, the beginning of a flame visible as he made the fire-is-coming hissing sound typical of the Skywings.

Thrush stood on his hind legs, swiping at Peregrine's muzzle before the flame had a chance to come out. The orange dragon's mouth shut and eyes widened as a puff of smoke forced its way out his nostrils. Doom felt a slight bit of pity, knowing how painful it was to swallow fire. Thrush spoke again, his voice dangerously low, "Scarlet is dead, and you know it. You're just too afraid to admit it."

"Why would I be afraid?" Peregrine smirked, shooting a ball of fire straight at Thrush's face. The crowd oohed in excitement, ahhing as Thrush ducked and rolled, slamming himself into Peregrine's chest and knocking him into an Icewing standing at the edge of the arena. 

The Icewing snarled and forced him back into the battle, shoving him into the line of fire. Thrush smacked Peregrine in the side of the face with his tail, then spat fire over his wings. The red Skywing shrieked in pain, and Thrush bent down, whispering something into the other Skywing's ear. Peregrine nodded limply then finally muttered, "I yield."

Thrush looked over the crowd, amber eyes narrowed and wings half opened, as if he was waiting for the next attack. When he finally spoke it was quiet, but nevertheless very clear. "Ruby is queen," he paused dramatically.

"Scarlet is dead." Then he turned, shoving through the crowd and walking off in the direction of Jade Mountain. 

Slowly the crowd wandered away, their thirst for blood sated. Doom watched as a healer came for Peregrine, barely noticing when Changbai came to stand next to her. "What happened?" She asked after a few minutes.

"Messengers from the Sky Kingdom just came, bringing new of Scarlet's demise. Peregrine was always one of her supporters, and he began spouting nonsense about how incapable Ruby was. Thrush has been a follower of Ruby's since he was two, and felt it was a direct jab towards his honor."

"But what could make him care that much?"

"When he was two his mother was killed for harboring an egg from the queen." He paused. "It would have hatched on the brightest night, if it had survived. The Scarlet turned on him, breaking both wings and forcing him to serve her. Ruby found him and healed him best she could, though it wasn't perfect. He's been devout ever since."

"I didn't realize he felt like that. Didn't even know him that well."

Changbai smiled sadly. "Sometimes it's the quiet ones who care the most, Doom. Don't ever forget that."

He spoke as if from personal experience, but she didn't want to know what had happened. Dragons deserved their secrets after all. She nodded, "I won't."

A/N:

-----------------------------------------------------------

400 reads!!!! Thank you soooo much!

~ GingerFlame