Chapter XIII

═════════════════
C H A P T E R
T H I R T E E N
═════════════════

Riley's POV

LATER ON TODAY, I can't help but grab my phone and hit on James's contact. I still haven't changed his name from when we started dating, so I have to have the overwhelming cringey-ness of having:

jamesy😍🔥💗😘👅

everytime I go to call him but, this time, I actually kind of like it.

I call him, and he picks up quite fast. "Hello?" He says. His voice is tired and strained. But, it's hot.

"James, hey," i say, biting my lip.

"Hey, Riley," he replies. "What's up?"

"Nothing..." i say. "I just, wanted to ask you something."

"Shoot."

I hesitate for a split second. "Why did you kiss me?" I ask him.

There's silence on the line for a second. "I don't know." James finally admits. "I wanted to?"

"That's it?"

"Yeah." He says. "Okay, maybe I just wanted it to be, like, over. I don't know."

"Want what be over?"

"Us not being... us anymore." He tells me.

"Oh," I say. "Yeah. I guess.. I guess I wanted that too."

I hear muffled voice on the other side of the line, a little girls one. Hazel, obviously. James says something back, and then returns to the call. "Sorry."

"It's okay." I sigh. "So when are you thinking of forgiving me?"

What? I need to know.

"I don't know, Ri," James laughs. "Just let the time come." He's teasing me. Why is he teasing me? This is serious shit, here.

"Fine." I say.

"Fine." I can hear his grin through the phone. "I have to go. I'll see you tomorrow?"

"Yeah. You will." I can't help but smile as well.

═════════════════

James's POV

"Hazel," I say, "c'mon, time for bed."

She groans. "But I'm not tired!"

"Yeah, well, daddy is," I tell her. "So you're gonna go to bed." I take her hand and she gives in and follows me into her room.

She jumps into her bed. "Daddy," she says. "Why were you kissing Riley?"

I forgot she seen that. Oops.

"Um... I don't know sweetheart." I tell her. Truthful enough, I suppose. "Because I love her."

"As a friend?"

"Yes," i say. "And as more."

"Oh." She says. "Are you and Riley dating?"

"Uh. It's complicated, Haze." I admit.

Hazel lies down and closes her eyes, and is quiet for a second, but then I hear her say, "Rileys very pretty. You'd be lucky, Daddy." She sounds like she's half asleep.

If feels like a kick in the gut to hear that. I would be lucky. I was lucky. I guess I ruined that, didn't I? If I had only told her...

"I would be," I say. "Goodnight, baby girl," I kiss her forehead before I leave.

═════════════════

"Eldon," I say excitedly through the phone at one o'clock that night. "Guess who's getting their girl back at last?"

I can tell, even on the phone, that I woke him up and that he isn't happy. "You already have Hazel," he groans. "Go to bed."

"Not Hazel, you half-wit," I roll my eyes. "Riley!"

"Last time I checked, Riley hates you," he says. "Go. To. Bed."

"Dude, it's only one o'clock, calm yourself," I laugh. "I need lady advice?"

"Okay then," Eldon gives in. "I guess I am the one to go to for that."

"Yeah. Not really," I admit. "West isn't getting good signal at his parents house, so... i came to you."

"Glad to know I'm your first choice," Eldon says sarcastically. "Asshole."

"Idiot." These are our pet names.

"Anyway, back to Riley," he continues. "What happened?"

"I kissed her."

"Jesus Christ. Why, exactly? Dont tell me we went through the whole 'getting over Riley' just so you can go and kiss her."

"I think we did exactly that, to be honest." I admit.

"James! All that training wasted."

"You're meant to be happy for me, dude," I tell him. "Hello?! I got Riley again?!"

"Yeah, well good for you, man," he yawns. "Now, goodnight."

"Night, buddy." I laugh and hang up. I suppose I am tired, J-Troupers are pretty hard work. As is Beth. Stupid, self-centred bitch. I can't get over it, honestly. I'm so mad at her.