Chapter XXV

════════════════════
C H A P T E R
T W E N T Y   F I V E
════════════════════

WHEN I WAS a kid, maybe like 5, my mom announced being pregnant, but then a few months later, she started crying all the time and I never acctually got a baby brother or sister. I didn't understand back then. But I do now.

Though I still have another baby, it's not the same, because every time I think about my daughter I think about my son. And every time I think about my son...

I sigh. Hazel looks over at me worriedly from the kitchen where she's working on her homework. "Riley, are you okay?"

I nod, forcing a smile. "Of course I am," I say. "Come over here a sec."

She jumps up and walks over, sitting down next to me on Emily's sofa. "Remember when I told you you'll have two little babies very soon?" She nods.

"I've been thinking," I continue. "And I think two is too many. How about just one? For now."

She studies me for a second. I'd say she understands — she's very intelligent. "If that's what you want," she smiles slightly, hugging me. I bite my lip really hard to stop me from crying — again.

I know I need to move on soon, but it's hard to. Especially when I don't even have James to help me through it. But I'm strong... aren't I?

════════════════════

I throw more food into the shopping cart, yawning uncontrollably. Not even paying attention, I push the cart forward and accidentally hit a man in front of me. I gasp. "Oh, my god! I'm so sorry!"

The man turns around and grins. Then I realise. It's Alfie. As in, Alfie I dated when me and James broke up, the one whom I broke up with becuase he was clingy, and annoying, and I loved James. That Alfie.

"Don't even worry about it," he says breezily. "Long time no see."

"Yeah," I say, trying to seem happy to see him.

"Um, I just wanted to say I'm sorry, for the way I acted," he starts. "When we dated? I was pretty annoying, I realise that now."

I smile slightly. "You don't need to apologise. It's perfectly fine," I say.

He grins at me. "How about you come round to my place? We can catch up."

I think for a second. This can't hurt, it's just visiting an old friend. Completely normal... yeah. Yeah, it'll be fine. "Is love to," I say.

════════════════════

His apartment is large and luxurious, which amazes me, because I knew he was rich but I mean... this is some millionaire type shit. "Nice place," I breathe out.

Alfie shrugs as if it's nothing. "Thanks. I'm just staying here for a while, to get away from my parents and that."

I nod, remembering what he told me. The whole 'Prince of Switzerland' thing. Well, I guess that's why he's rich...

════════════════════

James's POV

I knock on the door hesitantly. Half of me is hoping Riley isn't here, and the other half is hoping she isn't here to stop me from seeing Hazel.

I don't even see why I shouldn't be allowed to see Hazel, my own daughter. And the kid to come, who's also mine. It isn't fair to keep me away from them, just because I made one mistake.

The door swings open to reveal Hazel. She smiles and practically jumps into my arms. "Dad!" She squeals.

"Hazel, oh my god," I say, hugging her close. "I've missed you so much!"

"I've missed you!" She says. "Are you coming back to live with us again?"

I sigh. "I wish sweetheart," I tell her. "But no, not yet."

She looks disappointed. "Oh. Will Riley not let you?"

"No."

"She's really mad."

"I know."

"You should say sorry," Hazel advises me. "That always works."

I smile at her. "Maybe in kindergarten," I say.

"First grade," she corrects me.

"Yeah, sorry," I say. "But... I don't think sorry'll cut it, sweetie."

Like Riley would forgive me...

"Hazel, who is it?" I hear Emily's voice.

I put Hazel down and she looks at me. "No one," she calls to Emily. "Just a friend."

I grin that she lied like that for me. "Thanks, Haze," I whisper, kissing her forehead before I leave.

════════════════════

Rileys POV

Alfie really is such a nice guy. I think I misunderstood him while we were actually dating — he's sweet, funny, considerate — why didn't I see this side of him when I dated him?

"So," he says softly. "Things with James ended badly?"

I sigh deeply. "Yeah," I tell him. "Went down in flames."

He takes my hand. It startles me for a second, but then I get used to it and it's kind of nice. "What happened?" He asks.

"I..." should I tell him. "I announced I was pregnant with twins and he ran off somewhere for days, and then... and then came back and he was drunk, and I dumped him. Simple."

"You're pregnant?" Alfie asks, raising his eyebrows slightly. I nod. He rubs his thumb in circles on my hand, which acctually really reassures me. "Twins..." he says.

I shake my head. "No. Not anymore."

He looks confused for a second and then the realisation sets in. "Oh, my God, Riley, I'm so sorry."

And then he kisses me.

════════════════════

Plz don't hurt me