Chapter XXXII

════════════════════
C H A P T E R
T H I R T Y T W O
════════════════════

Rileys POV

THE DRIVE BACK home from the competition was quiet, but peaceful. Hazel had dozed off in the back seat after five minutes of driving, cradling her trophy in her arms.

She'd asked what happened to James's face, but at the same time I think she knew already. She didn't question any further when we didn't answer her.

James is being suspiciously quiet as well. Hoenstly, I think he's blaming himself for everything — which is absurd. He couldn't have stopped Alfie doing anything when it was happening.

"James," I say. He turns his attention to me slightly, but keeping his eyes on the road. "Do you think we'll ever have a drama free life?"

James laughs slightly. "I doubt it," he says. I laugh too. "But we can try."

I sigh and nod. "Promise me that with Lydia we'll be somewhat normal?"

James nods, and smiles reassuringly. "Yeah. I promise."

I notice Hazel is awake in the back seat. "Hey, sweetheart," I say.

"Hey," she says, rubbing her eyes. "Where are we?"

"We're near Emily's house," I tell her. "To pick up Lydia." Hazel nods.

════════════════════

When we get home it's late, and James has to carry Hazel in because she was sound asleep and James refused to wake her up. He takes her up to her bed as I cradle Lydia in my arms.

She's so beautiful. She stares up at me with her dark brown eyes and smiles, giggling quietly.

If I would of stayed with Alfie, what would have happened to her? I don't even want to think about it.

I still can't stop thinking about Alfie. Not in a good way, but in the way where he's haunting me. I can't get him out of my head, he's always lurking there somewhere. And he terrifies me.

════════════════════

James's POV

I lie Hazel down on her bed and pull the blanket up over her. I kiss her forehead, and when I'm about to leave, she says something that stops me.

"Was my mom a dancer?" She asks.

She's never asked anything about her mother, really. I don't know what to say. She's never shown much interest in knowing who her mother is.

Yes, I'm going to tell her it's Beth. At some stage. But I was hoping it wouldn't be this soon.

"Um..." I say quietly. "Yeah. She was."

"There was a woman at the dance competition who kept staring at me." Hazel says. I can feel my heartbeat speeding up. "Was that her?"

"What did she look like? What team was she in?"

"Brown hair, kind of scary," Hazel says. "She was in LOD."

The team Beth transferred to. Shit.

"Do you know her name?"

"Umm... it's something beginning with a B. I don't remember."

Okay, shit.

"Was that her?" Hazel repeats.

"We'll talk about this in the morning, Haze," I say.

"No, I want to know now," Hazel insists.

"I don't know if it was," I tell her sharply. "We'll talk in the morning."

"I just want to know, dad."

"In the morning!" I snap. I leave and close the door.

I lean against the wall outside the door and close my eyes. I swear if Beth is going to just waltz back here... I don't even know what I'll go. It'll be bad.

Riley walks over, and she narrows her eyes. "James, are you okay?"

"No." I sigh. "Hazel says she say Beth today. She wants to know if she's her mother."

Rileys jaw drops. "How did she figure that out?"

"She's smart," I say. "It was going to happen."

"Are you going to tell her?"

I think for a second. Then I shake my head. "No, I can't. Not until she's older."

════════════════════

This was boring I'm sorry 😬
I'm thinking of just skipping a few years to when Hazel and Lydia are older and then carrying on? Comment what you's think or what you'd like to see happen
Love you guys and thanks for reading 💓
- emma xx