Chapter XXXIV

════════════════════
C H A P T E R
T H I R T Y   F O U R
════════════════════

James's POV

IT DIDN'T TAKE long for Hazel to forgive me. On the drive over she pretended as if nothing happened. I didn't mind that, other than the fact that I was still upset.

I can't handle any thought of Beth and what she did to me... I can't even think of her name without having a mental breakdown. I know I need to man up and get over it, but I can't.

Hazels dance class isn't for an hour and a half, but before the junior team rehearsals I teach B-Troupe and she likes to come and watch.

I pull up outside the studio and she hops out. Michelle is in Studio A as the B-Troupers are flooding in, because I asked her to help me out while Giselle is sick. She smiles and walks over to me.

Hazel says hi to her and then goes to hang out with the B-Troupe girls she befriended. Michelle looks at me. "Are you okay?" She asks.

"Me? Oh, um, yeah, of course. Yeah. I'm fine." I stumble.

"Mhmm. Sure." She sits down. "What's up?"

"Just... Hazel. She wants to know more about," I pause. "Her mom, and stuff."

"Beth and stuff. Got it," Michelle sighs. "Just... don't feel obliged to say anything to anyone, okay? Hazel has plenty of time left to hear these things when she's older."

I nod. "Thanks, Michelle." I say.

"No problem," she jumps up. "Now let's teach a class!" She pauses for a second. "I have no idea what I'm doing."

I laugh. "Just follow my lead," I say. "And don't worry, they aren't as vicious as they seem."

════════════════════

"Hazel, hurry up!" I shout, muttering about how we're all going to be late. She shouts that she's coming, and Riley tells me to be patient, she's a girl it takes her a while to be ready. I don't think Hazels that type of girl, though.

She finally runs down the stairs in her brand new, shiny black high tops, wearing a plaid skirt, white top and leather jacket, with the cutest black hat on her head and knee length white socks. It was the girliest thing Riley could get her in. But she looks adorable, though she mightn't like it much herself.

Emily's engagement party — sadly, no, not to Alfie, but to Eldon, which actually really shocked everyone. They broke up a millennium ago, and now they're getting married? I knew about their relationship for a while now but I didn't expect it to go this far.

"I'm ready," Hazel says. "Can we go?"

We all head out to my car, me carrying the baby and Hazel walking hand in hand with Riley, talking about her soccer game next week, which she's totally psyched for.

We get in, and I strap up Lydia's car seat and make sure Hazel is safe, too, and then we start driving to Emily's house. She still slightly hates me, but I think we're okay now, at least just a tiny bit.