Chp 1 . Unlikely match

"Two minutes, Rach!" I heard Tom yell into the ladies room.

"I know, I know." I said, leaning over the toilet. I was deciding whether or not to puke up the dinner I had just eaten so I wouldn't feel so fat. On the one hand, I'd feel better if I could just throw up. But on the other hand, I didn't want to get vomit all over the Louis Vuitton dress I was wearing. I could hear the music from outside blaring all the way in here, and I knew I was going to have to hurry up.

"If you're in there trying to make yourself sick, I'm gonna kill you, Rachael Barnes. I'm not bluffing. I didn't buy you that dinner just so you could hack it back up." I laughed loud enough for him to hear. He should know my now that I only threw up every once in a while. I had suffered through bulimia once when I was nineteen. I was still sort of getting over it. But what model didn't have some eating disorder nowadays?

"No. I'm coming." I said. I stood up and walked out of the bathroom. Tom was waiting outside for me, big surprise. Tom is my best friend. We've been through thick and thin, and I truly loved him in some ways. I knew he felt the same.

"Come on, Rach, they're going to fire you if you're not walking down that runway in..." He looked at his watch "Thirty seconds."

I ran through the dressing room backstage, and got in line with the other girls that were modeling. As we stepped through a man checked me to make sure everything was perfect, which it was, and then he sent me off on stage. By the time the nerves really hit, I was already strutting down the runway.

"Rachael! Oh, my god! It's Rachael Banes!!!" I loved hearing the sound of the crowd screaming my name. My adrenaline kicked in overdrive and before I knew it, I had switched to my other person.

Just to fill you in, I have two different versions of myself. There is my model version, which is sweet, classy, and charming. And she always says all the right things. That is the way the public views me. Then there is my normal version who is boring, nervous, and caring. I prefer my model version, but that only comes when I'm walking down the runway.

When I finally got back to the curtain, Tom was waiting for me. I embraced him and he held on tight.

"You did so great, Rach." He said. "You were beautiful."

I chuckled. "Thank you, sir. Now, what time is the after party?" I wondered.

"We can head there now if you like." He put his arm through mine and led me to my dressing room so I could change.

When we finally got to the party, it was packed. "I'll see you later." I said to Tom as I spotted him eyeing a group of women.

He just nodded and walked over to them. I shook my head and walked to the bar.

When I finally found an open stool, I sat down. The bartender walked over to me and I gave him my order. A great goose martini on the rocks. That's what I always got.

Just when I was about to get settled in, I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned around to see a man a few years older than me ,His cheekbones were really high on his face, and I have to admit he was pretty hot. He looked really familiar, but I couldn't put my finger on it.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I was just... Well, I was sitting there." He said , For some reason that surprised me. I didn't know why. We were in London, after all. I just wasn't used to it yet.

"Oh. No, no. I'm sorry." I said, blushing. I paused, waiting for him to reply, but he just stood there gawking at me. I got down from the stool and started to walk away.

"Hey." His hand grabbed my elbow and stopped me. "At least let me buy you a drink." His hand was still on my arm, and for some stupid reason it made me blush again. He released my arm as I climbed on the seat next to him.