Chap 18 Awake

I had always wondered what people in comas saw when they had their eyes closed. I always wondered if there was a huge white light, or if you'd see God.

Well, I didn't see any of that. I saw black. Only black. In fact, if I was conscious, I would have been really bored.

"Oh my god!" I heard a familiar voice squeal. I jumped internally at the sound. I didn't think I could hear voices. "Is she okay?"

My mind searched for the name. Elizabeth Olsen . My best friend. I tried to flutter my eyes.

There was silence. "Did you see that?" Another familiar voice. Chris Evans . Why were they here?

I fluttered my eyes again. "OH MY GOD! Someone go and get Sebastian !" It was Scarlett.

But it wasn't her voice that I was focusing in on. It was the name that had come out of her mouth. Seb. Seb, My love, my life, my Sebastian . Where was he? He must be so worried. I fluttered my eyes again and I could barely twitch my fingers.

"She's waking up." I heard Chris say to someone. I held my breath for the voice, his voice, that would send me out of my state.

I felt a warm hand brush my face and I slowly got more control of my body. This was so frustrating! I moved my hand up to touch my face, and the hand that was on my face took it and held it between his. Why wasn't he saying anything? I wish I could say something.

"Rachael?" he asked, and I gasped. My eyelids fluttered open and for a moment I was blinded by light. I put my other hand up to shield it. "Rachael." Sebastian sighed in relief, stroking my face again with his free hand.

I couldn't see him. All I could see was a blur at the moment. Then my eyes focused in on his brilliant face, his eyes full of relief, but concern at the same time. "Oh, shit." I croaked, but I started coughing. It felt like it had been weeks since I'd spoken last.

"Baby." Seb smiled, kissing my hand. I looked down at my other hand and gasped.

There were needles sticking in my arm, the skin at my wrists black and blue from where they tried to find a vein. "Oh my god." I said, looking away to Seb's face, trying to distract myself.

He smiled knowingly. "Fluids. It's okay, babe." He brushed a few strands of hair away from my face. His touch was so comforting. There was no one I needed more at the moment.

It was then that I remembered the others. I looked around the small but adequate hospital room into the eyes of my friends.

All of them seemed to share the same expression; relief. I tried to smile at them, but even the simplest of movement hurt, and, to my dismay, I still had a headache.

"I feel high." I said, looking to the bags that were feeding me medicine.

Everyone laughed but Seb. "They gave you a lot of stuff to make you feel more comfortable, Rach. You gave me quite a scare there, sweetie." He kissed my forehead.

"How long was I out?" I asked, curious.

"About two days, hon." Scarlett answered, coming over to the bed and stroking my cheek.

Seb tensed at what I guessed were memories of the past two days.

"What happened?" I felt like a small child, asking questions about things that I should already know about.

"The headache came back and you blacked out from the pain. We could have woken you up earlier, but the doctor said that he wanted to keep you under so you'd be more comfortable. You're temperature reached 104.9 and one point." His face was sad as he told me this. "You were so close..." his voice broke off suddenly, and his face crumpled in pain.