Five.

True to Allura's words, she landed a couple of feet behind Hunk a few doboshes later. She wore an expression of grim determination, much like the Paladins did. They all knew what would happen if they didn't find Lance. They knew the stakes at hand. They knew the multitude of the risks they were willing to take, and they accepted the fact with open arms.

"We went this way, first," Keith began, knowing their search had to start somewhere. "At that point, Lance was still by us."

"So somewhere along our trail, he got separated," Pidge continued for him, her mouth forming a slight frown.

"If we follow our path again, you think we'll find out which way he went?" Hunk asked, worry weighing his perkiness down.

"If we keep our eyes peeled," Keith answered him, "hopefully."

"Lead the way, then, Paladin," Allura told him.

Keith nodded and allowed a small smile to cover his mouth. "Come on."

They set off once again, but this time with a totally different goal. Their movements were slower and more meticulous, their eyes scouring every inch of the rocky terrain for miniscule details hinting at Lance's location.

Five doboshes passed. Then, ten. Twenty was about to be surpassed when Pidge cried out, "Footprints!" She pointed to her right, and everyone's eyes followed her finger. Sure enough, there were footprints matching those of Lance's.

"What are we waiting for, then?" Hunk asked impatiently, concerned excitement lacing his voice. "Let's follow them." He moved ahead of Keith in pursuit of the prints, but the Red Paladin quickly caught up with him.

"Hunk," Keith said to gain his attention. The Yellow Paladin spared a glance at him before looking back at he dirt. "You doing okay?"

"Is that supposed to be a trick question?" he asked in return, shocking Keith.

"I'm not following..." Keith answered him, his voice losing energy.

"My best friend is missing on a planet he could easily die in," he replied shortly, swallowing harshly. "How do you think I'm feeling?"

Keith bit the inside of his cheek. "I didn't mean to upset you..."

Hunk sighed. "It's alright. I'm sorry for being bitter... It's just that Lance and I go back a long way. He's been there every time to pick me up when I'm down. He makes me laugh when I didn't think I would ever laugh again." He hesitated for a moment, pain in his eyes. "I know you and him have this complicated rivalry going on and I know you're probably glad he's out of your mullet, bu--"

"Hey, now!" Keith interjected in complaint, masking his feelings of gloom. "Leave the hair out it."

Hunk managed to smile. "But life without Lance isn't one I want to live."

Keith placed a comforting hand on his shoulder. "None of us do, Hunk. We're going to find Lance and everything is going to be alright," he promised, yet he wasn't sure he could believe his own words.

"Guys..." Pidge's voice sounded from behind them. It was graced with a growing sense of panic and dread. "Is that...?"

In a second, Keith and Hunk's heads whipped around to the ground in front of them, their stomachs plummeting to their feet at the sight. Lying in front of them was a white helmet with touches of blue.

"No..." Allura gasped.

Keith walked numbly to the helmet and picked it up gingerly, as if it were going to crumble under his touch and make him lose the only definite piece of Lance that he had to cherish. He wiped off the layer of dust that had gathered on it whilst it was on the ground, biting his lip hard to contain his accumulating consternation.