Old Things and New Beginings

Keyanna "Key,  answer the phone!" My little sister Natasha yelled

Keyanna 
"Key,  answer the phone!" My little sister Natasha yelled.

"Tell Ralph to stop running up my damn phone bill unless he wants to pay it." My mom said with a cigarette hanging from her lips. I rolled my eyes and walked pass her. I walked to my room where I keep the other house phone.

"Hello?"

"Hey baby." Hearing Ralph's voice in my ear made me shiver a little. It was calm, but a little raspy. Low, but still strong. I started smiling, harder than I have in a while. I really missed him. He's only been gone for four months, but it felt like a year.

"Hey babe, I miss you."

"I miss you too. We only got 1 month left, baby. I'm coming home to you real soon mama. Now tell me how ya day went."

"It was fine. I worked, took care of my brother and sisters, and I went  to your mom's house."

"And what did you and miss Pam argue about this time?" He laughed. He knows that I always go to his mom's house when my mom and I argue. I damn near spend  most of the week over there.

"Hold on, boo." I got up and closed my room door so my mom wouldn't hear what I was saying.

"She basically called me ungrateful because I asked her if I could go out with my girls tonight instead of watching her kids while she does whatever with whoever."

I love my mom but, she's irresponsible. She has 5 kids, no job, and leaves everything to me. I was 10 years old when my little brother Eric came home. Ever since then, i've ben taking care of him. All while she sits in her room and lay's on her back. 

"When I come home you won't have to worry about that. You coming to live with me" he said seriously.

"I can't move out, Ralph. I have to make sure my brother and my sisters are good." I wanted to live with him more than anything, but my family comes first. 

"Shit, they can come too baby. I just want to make you happy. I can't do that while you living under her roof."

"Well if you were here then I'd be happy. I'm tired of going to your mom's house and sleeping in your bed and putting on your shirt just to feel like you're with me.  I want to sleep in your bed with you actually next to me." I let him know how I really felt. He's my heart.

"I'm coming home to you real soon, baby. Just in time for your birthday."

"Yeah, another year older. I'm so excited" I said sarcastically.

"Girl you better be happy. I got a surprise for you, mama."

"What is it, Ralph?" I rolled my eyes. "You know I hate surprises."

He laughed. "It's called a surprise for a reason. Listen, I have to leave to go to the arena soon, baby. I love you and I call you tonight when I get in."