Teatime

A loud voice sang out from down the hall. "Hey, Madison!"

James jumped up in his seat, hurriedly stuffing a letter he had been writing into the desk drawer and slamming it shut. He took out a few blank pages, hunching over them and quickly scribbling down some notes to make it appear he had been working. At that moment, the door had opened and Thomas peeked in. James casually span around in his seat, giving the visitor a small wave.

"Oh, I didn't expect you here so soon!" James weakly smiled, turning back to his desk.

"James...it's almost time for tea. Did you really forget about the time?" Thomas strolled in, stopping just beside the other man with a raised brow. James cursed under his breath, holding his head in his hands. "Aw, don't worry 'bout it, James! We've still got time..." Thomas glanced down at his pocket watch and laid a reassuring hand on James' shoulder.

"I-I'm sorry...I got so caught up in my writing..."

Thomas bent down and read over James' rushed handwriting. "Doesn't look like you wrote much. Unless you wrote a whole room full of pages that I don't know about." He chuckled, spinning on his heel and making his way back to the door.

James stood up and briskly followed suit. "Uh...what are we having?"

"I'm not so sure myself."

They walked down the rest of the way in silence, continuing through a waist-high maze of flowering hedges. As they walked, Thomas swiftly picked a large white rose nearby and lightly sniffed it. "I say, the gardeners have really outdone themselves this time." He held out the rose to James with a small smile. James held it carefully, holding it with both hands so as not to ruin the pretty petals, and stared down at it until they reached a small clearing. There was a small round table with a tea tray upon which laid a plate of scones and teacups. The two men sat down in chairs opposite each other, and Thomas poured out tea for the both of them.

"You really must talk more, James. I do so enjoy hearing your voice." Thomas sipped his drink, looking over the cup at the other.

"But I don't know what to say! I'm not as interesting as you..." James didn't touch his tea, but instead stared off to the side.

"Nonsense, you're a great man! And I don't think you'd really like hearing me ranting on Hamilton." Thomas leaned forward on the table, resting his head on his palms in interest. "Though tell me; what have you managed to do before now? I didn't see a whole lot of work."

"I was just...writing a letter in reply to, uh....Burr. But I thought it was stupid so I just started something else." James half-lied, though if Thomas was observant he'd catch on quickly.

"Nothing you write is stupid, James. C'mon, let's go back and you can show me!" Thomas smiled, finishing off his tea and scones and standing up with his hand outstretched to James. The other man reluctantly took it, and held onto Thomas' arm as they walked back.